-

-

RecSports to host 37th annual Domer Run

| Friday, September 20, 2019

Notre Dame RecSports will host the 37th annual Domer Run on Friday on the Irish Green. The run is staffed by a mix of employees and volunteer workers who help out with everything from manning water stations to crowd control. 

Kendra Bayne, the assistant director of RecSports, organized the run.

“My favorite part of the Domer Run is seeing the wide variety of participants that cross the finish line on race day,” Bayne said in an email. “No matter if you’re a runner or a walker, the only thing that truly matters is that you’re up and out there on a beautiful morning on the campus of Notre Dame and being active.”

The run follows three separate courses weaving throughout Notre Dame’s campus. These three courses consist of a 5K run, a 10K run and a two-mile “Fun Walk.”

According to the Domer Run website, the five-kilometer run begins on the Irish Green and proceeds on a northbound route to Saint Mary’s lake, where runners will circle the body of water. After circling the lake, runners will travel south down Holy Cross drive until they reach Notre Dame Avenue, then make their way north and around University Circle. Participants will then run south on Notre Dame Avenue until they reach their original starting point, the Irish Green.

The 10K run follows a similar course, with the addition of having contestants run around both Saint Mary’s lake and St. Joseph’s lake. This race also includes a mile long stretch where the runners go south down Twyckenham Drive before reaching the final stretch of the race and finally finishing at the Irish Greens. 

According to the site, the two mile “Fun Walk” is more focused on sightseeing than competition, and follows a very relaxed route through campus. The walkers begin at Irish Green, walking north around the main building, passing the Basilica of the Sacred Heart on their way. After that, the contestants will walk east to the Rockne Memorial, then finally follows the course back to where they began their great Odyssey, the Irish Commons. 

The main purpose of the run is to fundraise for the Gyna Girls of the RiverBend Cancer Services, Gyna Girls president Nancy White said. RiverBend Cancer Services seeks to improve the quality of life for cancer survivors as well as help those with cancer with managing their treatment, according to their website

“We feel so blessed to be partnering with the Domer Run to help raise awareness about gynecological cancers,” White said.

Notre Dame senior Andrew Jarocki won last year’s five kilometer Domer Run race in the 18-25 division. 

“I love and do the Domer Run whenever I can because it is a beautiful course around the lakes and through campus,” Jarocki said. “For me, it is also really fun to run with and compete against folks from all over the tri-campus area.”

About John Salem

Contact John