-

-

Saint Mary’s Purcell Game Day events provide alternative activities on game day

| Wednesday, September 18, 2019

While many students spend some of their autumn Saturdays at Notre Dame football games, the Office of Student Involvement at Saint Mary’s offers alternative activities for students who don’t attend games. The Purcell Game Day events will be held on each home game day for the rest of football season.

“The Purcell Game Day events have evolved from the Fifth Quarter events,” Nicole Hundt, assistant director of residence life and student involvement, said in an email. She said she plans the events with the help of student event managers.

The Fifth Quarter events occurred in previous years as activities for students to do following home football games, but Hundt said they will be held during the game each week this year.

“Since these are a game day alternative, it was decided that it would be best to host them during the game instead of after,” she said.

Saint Mary’s has hosted activities as an alternative to attending football games for several years, as an alumna of the College wanted students to have opportunities for other sources of fun during the season.

“An alumna of Saint Mary’s College felt that there should be alternatives for students who do not want to attend games or for activities for students who don’t want to go to parties,” Hundt said.

This alumna made a donation to be used for these game day activities, she said.

The first Purcell Game Day event was held in the fieldhouse of the Angela Athletic and Wellness Complex. Those in attendance decorated flags and made nachos.

Students attended the first event for a variety of reasons, some attending to do crafts and others simply choosing to remain on campus that day.

Junior Ivol Frasier said she attended the event because she wanted to participate in a fun activity while staying at Saint Mary’s.

“I came to this event to have something to do on game day that was not at Notre Dame,” Frasier said.

Hundt said the rest of this season’s events will feature activities such as a spa day, cupcake decorating and making tie blankets.

Tags: ,

About Sara Schlecht

Contact Sara