-

-

Saint Mary’s SGA hosts back-to-school brunch with giveaways

| Monday, September 9, 2019

The Saint Mary’s Student Government Association held a “Back to School Brunch” Sunday morning, hosted by its community committee, for Belles to kick off the 2019-2020 academic year. With free food and giveaways, the event sought to bring people together at the College.

The community committee aims to foster community on the Saint Mary’s campus while simultaneously expanding relationships in the tri-campus community. Giavanna Paradiso, a junior and co-chair of the committee, explained the importance of having on-campus events available to students.

“We want to make sure that all Belles feel included and feel like there is something for them,” Paradiso said. “Especially given the recent changes with tri-campus transportation options, we want to make sure we have nice events on campus for every Belle.”

Kelsey O’Connor, a junior and committee co-chair, acknowledged the importance of having a community committee as the core value of Saint Mary’s this academic year is community.

“It is important to us that our events cater to all grade levels to foster cross-class friendships,” O’Connor said.

Sundays’ brunch event was initially set to occur on Library Green but due to poor weather conditions was moved into LeMans’ Reignbeaux Lounge. Located near the front desk, Reignbeaux is a popular spot to do homework, sit and chat with friends, or simply walk outside to the rest of campus.

On the onset of the third week of classes, the initial back to school excitement and bliss may have been worn down. Back to School Brunch was designed to raise spirits and bring smiles to faces in an attempt to start the school week off on a high note, Paradiso said.

“When we were brainstorming event ideas we knew we wanted to do something that people need, but more importantly, something that would be cute and aesthetically appealing,” Paradiso said.

The event yielded high traffic, especially from upperclassmen leaving their dorm and featured several grab and go options: juices, fresh fruits, donuts and t-shirt giveaways.

“We knew we wanted to do a Sunday late morning as to attract students who are starting their days, whether that be going to the dining hall, coming back from the gym or heading to the library,” O’Connor said.

While these events are designed for the student body, committee members and co-chairs equally gain from hosting them. For Paradiso, her favorite part of putting on SGA events is the way she gets to see Belles enjoy something new and different, while also being able to see everyone bond.

As co-chairs, Paradiso and O’Connor are responsible for planning student events every month. Their most recent event was Pre-Domerfest for first-year and transfer students. The SGA Community Committee will continue to host monthly events for students for the duration of the school year.

About Mia Marroquin

Mia Marroquin is a rising senior Communication Studies major at Saint Mary’s. Currently serving as Saint Mary’s News Editor, she hails from Holland, Michigan and is an 80’s movie fanatic. Follow Mia on Twitter @_miamarroquin

Contact Mia