-

-

Study Abroad Week presents international options to students

| Thursday, September 12, 2019

While Notre Dame’s main campus is located in Indiana, many Notre Dame students take temporary leave of South Bend while taking advantage of the University’s various study abroad programs.

Study Abroad Week began Sept. 9 with different information sessions such as Advising on the Fly, an event where students have the opportunity to ask advisors about the different programs that might be available. This event and others served as a source of information for students who were able to talk to professionals about the possible programs that suit his or her interests and academic goals.

Notre Dame is ranked No. 2 in national universities with the largest percentage of students that study abroad, and the University’s semester and summer study abroad programs are spread across 26 countries. Hong Zhu, the director of global engagement programs at Notre Dame International, said students have the opportunity to explore various options throughout the week.

“Students should be open-minded on the different programs that study abroad offers,” Zhu said. “Students should talk to their academic advisors [about] the opportunity of taking courses in other majors abroad.”

Junior Jacob Stellon studied abroad the summer after his freshman year in Alcoy, Spain. He said he had a great experience abroad.

“I had the opportunity to explore a lot of new places and meet people from different cultures,” Stellon said. “In this program, I took two courses that lasted for six weeks. Alcoy was an enriching experience that helped me to look at the world in a different perspective. Study abroad is a great opportunity for a student to step out of his or her comfort zone and to challenge themselves.”

Andrew Fulwider, a junior chemical engineering and German major, has participated in two summer study abroad programs —both in Germany, one in Berlin and one in Cologne — and said it helped him expand his horizons.

“Berlin was a unique experience, where I realized how diverse other cultures are,” Fulwider said. “I visited the largest private water management facility of Germany in Cologne, where I met professionals and got to observe the work of chemical engineers. It was a great experience.”

Zhu encouraged students to keep their options open as they consider which programs are best suited for them.

“Be open-minded,” she said.

About Alvin Kraja

Contact Alvin