-

-

multimedia

Viewpoint Podcast: Episode One

| Thursday, September 12, 2019

Claire Kopischke

Welcome to the Viewpoint Podcast!

We’re excited to share the very first episode of this podcast, which is an offshoot of The Observer’s Viewpoint section. Our goals for the podcast are to discuss important national and international issues and to deepen our understanding of how they affect our Notre Dame, Saint Mary’s and Holy Cross communities. We’ll be welcoming a diverse group of voices, including students, professors, campus groups and a few surprise guests along the way.

Today’s episode is a sort-of preview for tonight’s Democratic presidential debate, but we won’t be focusing so much on specific issues as on the nature of debate itself. What will presidential debates look like now that we have fewer candidates than the first rounds? How have debate formats changed over time, and is the present format effective?

On the show to talk about these and other questions are Professor David Campbell — the Packey J. Dee Professor of American Democracy — and Conrad Palor — debate team president. We’ll also hear from four different students about how they engage in politics with their friends — including those with whom it may seem they don’t have much in common. Stay tuned to hear some great discussions!

We’d love to hear from our listeners! Please email vi[email protected] with any questions, comments, guest suggestions and topics that interest you.

About NELISHA VIEWPOINT