Thursday, May 16, 2024

BAVO ‘One in Four’ free t-shirt giveaway aims to start conversations, raise awareness about domestic violence

The Belles Against Violence Office (BAVO), which works with the community to prevent and respond to sexual assault, relationship violence and stalking at Saint Mary’s, is hosting a number of events this year to raise awareness for violence on campus. In spirit of their mission to cultivate a violence-free culture through education and advocacy, the group will be hosting a t-shirt giveaway and vigil this week for Domestic Violence Awareness Month.

BAVO will be handing out t-shirts with the words “One in Four” at the entrance of Noble Family Dining Hall on Monday, Oct. 7 during dinner hours. “One in Four” comes from the statistic that represents the one in four college women who will experience violence during their college years. To address this statistic, free t-shirts dealing with this issue will be handed out to 25% of Saint Mary’s students.

Senior Courtney Driscoll has been part of the BAVO since freshman year, and served as an ally for one year and on the BAVO Student Advisory Committee as a co-chair during her sophomore and senior year. She said the shirts will help students grasp the statistic visually.

“We have not handed out shirts for this campaign every year, although I thought it was important to do it this year (my freshman year may have been the last time) to provide a visual for the meaning behind the shirts,” Driscoll said in an email. 

Driscoll said she finds through personal experience the shirts are a good method of starting conversations about the topic of sexual assault awareness.

“Every time I wear my ‘one in four’ shirt from freshman year, I have many friends and people I do not even know of all ages ask me what it stands for,” Driscoll said. “This has created discussion on the topic that may be lost throughout the typical events thrown on campus. Through this activity, we hope this will create open dialogue and promote awareness for sexual assault.”

On Wednesday, Oct. 9 at 6 p.m. BAVO will also be holding a Belles for Healing Vigil.

“We hope everyone will wear their 1 in 4 shirts on this day and at the event in solidarity for survivors on campus and in the greater community,” Driscoll said.