-

-

Football

College GameDay goes international for Notre Dame-Navy

| Tuesday, October 8, 2019

ESPN announced on Saturday that College GameDay, its premiere college football show, will travel overseas next season for the Notre Dame vs. Navy football game at Dublin, Ireland’s Aviva Stadium on Aug. 29, 2020. Created in 1993, the show has never aired from an international location, despite multiple international games being played in places like the Bahamas and Sydney, Australia in recent years. In a press release on Saturday, ESPN said it was excited for the new experience.

“College GameDay has built its legacy traveling from city to city, campus to campus showcasing the unmatched passion of college football fans and the pageantry surrounding the game,” ESPN’s senior vice president of production, Lee Fitting, said. “The Notre Dame-Navy rivalry serves as the perfect backdrop for College GameDay’s inaugural international appearance. We look forward to giving the great fans of Ireland and the thousands of Americans traveling to Dublin an unforgettable experience.”

Anna Mason | The Observer

Irish junior running back Jafar Armstrong carries the ball during Notre Dame’s 44-22 win over Navy on Oct. 10, 2018 in San Diego. The Irish will face the Midshipmen in Dublin, Ireland to open the 2020 season on Aug. 29, with College Gameday making its first international trip to cover the game.

GameDay should expect a large crowd, as Notre Dame played Navy in Aviva Stadium in 2012 and drew a crowd of over 50,000 fans, with over 35,000 of them Americans making the trip to Dublin. In anticipation of the game, Notre Dame is selling a travel package to allow students and fans attend the event.

The Notre Dame-Navy series is one of college football’s oldest rivalries. The teams first met in 1927 and have played 92 times heading into this year’s matchup in South Bend. Notre Dame has won 76 times against Navy, including 43 straight victories from 1964-2006. The Irish have won both times the two teams played in Dublin, first in 1996 by a score of 54-27 during Lou Holtz’s last season as head coach, and to start their perfect regular season in 2012 with a 50-10 win.