-

-

Men’s Tennis

Fu, Small go undefeated at Vredevelt invitational

| Tuesday, October 8, 2019

The Notre Dame men’s tennis team travelled to Kalamazoo, Michigan this past weekend to take part in the Vredevelt Invitational tournament. The Irish found success in day one of the tournament, winning seven singles matches and three doubles matches.

Freshmen Connor Fu and Matthew Halpin dispatched their opponents in straight sets, with Fu winning his match over University of Illinois at Chicago’s Johan Hedstrom 6-2, 6-1 and Halpin winning by a score of 6-0, 6-0 over Brandon Lew of Illinois State.

Freshmen Braden Ho and Matthew Che, as well as senior Conor Somers, also won their matches in straight sets. Junior Paul Gota would need three sets to decide his match, winning by the score of 4-6, 7-6 (4), 1-0 (6) over Drew Keene of Michigan State. Senior Johnathan Small won via retirement 2-0 over Michigan State’s Carson Gates. In doubles, the duo of Gota and Small won 6-2 over Hedstrom and Kasper Parlklo of UIC. Sophomore Andrew Mariados teamed up with Somers to earn the victory over Matsuno and Gates of Michigan State 6-1.

On day two, four Irish members earned two victories each in singles. Fu, Small, Halpin and Ho each bested their opponents, including four matches that needed three sets to decide a victor. Halpin would win two of those four with wins over Arjun Honnappa of Western Michigan 3-6, 6-1, 10-1, and over Pelle Strandberg of University Illinois Chicago 4-6, 7-5, 10-7. In doubles, Mariado and Somers would be the only Irish pairing to win their match, beating Diego Le Gal Perez and Brandon Lew of Illinois State 7-5.

On the final day of the tournament, both Connor Fu and Johnathan Small would remain undefeated, becoming the only players to go 4-0 for the weekend. Fu was victorious over Jarreau Campbell of Michigan State 6-3, 6-4 and Small would defeat Illinois State’s Jorge Bartra 6-1, 6-3.

Tags: , , , , , , ,