-

-

ND Women’s Soccer

Irish set to take on Hurricanes in annual SEGway game

| Thursday, October 10, 2019

Last year, the Irish made history as the first team in program history to end the year with a losing record. Irish head coach Nate Norman and his squad came into this season more determined than ever to get back to their winning ways.

This year’s Irish team came out with a full head of steam and rattled off six-straight wins to start the season. With six games remaining on their regular season schedule, coach Norman and company currently sit at 8-4, overall and their 2-2 record within the ACC conference has them positioned in a tie for fifth place overall.

In its last contest against Syracuse, Notre Dame cruised to a 3-0 victory over the Orange en route to its seventh shutout of the season. The Irish were able to get on the board early on in the game thanks to junior forward Eva Hurm’s team-leading fifth goal of the season in the fifth minute. The Irish tacked on two more goals in the second half via an own goal from Syracuse and a strike off of the foot of sophomore Luisa Delgado respectively.

Hurm and Delgado have been the players with the biggest impact on offense for the Irish so far this season, as they are tied for the team lead in points with 12. Delgado has tallied four goals and is tied with junior Sammi Fisher for the team lead in assists with four, while Hurm leads the team in goals with five to go along with two assists.

Against Syracuse, Notre Dame once again asserted its dominance at Alumni Stadium. Out of their seven shutouts on the year, five have come at home. At home, Notre Dame has outscored their opponents 18-3.

The Irish are set to take on ACC-foe Miami Florida on Thursday at Alumni Stadium. The Hurricanes (3-5-2, 0-3-1 ACC) have not won a match since Sept. 12 against Stetson, and since then have dropped four games and tied once. The one mutual opponent between the Irish and the Hurricanes so far this season is Pittsburgh. Miami tied Pitt 3-3 at home on Sept. 29, while the Irish took care of business at home against the Panthers, recording a clean sheet in a 4-0 victory.

After the Syracuse game, both Hurm and coach Norman spoke about the importance of getting off to a hot start and how game-changing it is when they’re able take an early lead. Notre Dame is outscoring its opponents 23-10 in goals overall, but just seven of those 23 goals have been scored in the first half for the Irish. Furthermore, Norman’s team has tallied 89 total second half shots compared to just 69 in the first half. If the Irish are going to keep up their solid play, it’s clear that they’re going to have to continue putting their foot on the gas right from kickoff.

Thursday’s matchup against the Hurricanes will be a chance for the Irish to get back-to-back wins for the first time since they won back-to-back games against Michigan and Oakland in early September, and it is the final game in their recent three game home stretch.

Additionally, the contest will be the Irish’s seventh annual SEGway game, where all proceeds from the game will go to the SEGway project, a non-profit organization that was founded by former Irish soccer player Lindsay Brown, class of 2012, committed to empowering girls in the developing world using soccer as a medium. Brown founded the project after a trip she took in 2011 to Surkhet, Nepal, in which she discovered the role that soccer can play in terms of transforming the lives of girls regarding things such as developing leadership skills and gaining self-confidence. All proceeds will go to the equipment, meals and transportation for the girl’s soccer program in the Kopila Valley in Nepal.

Kickoff between the Irish and the Hurricanes is set for 7 p.m., and the game will be broadcast on the ACC Network Extra.