-

-

Football

Michael Young expected to transfer

| Friday, October 25, 2019

Notre Dame wide receiver Michael Young will redshirt the remainder of this season and transfer following an early graduation in 2020, multiple sources, among them Irish Illustrated and 247Sports, are reporting.

A 5-foot-10 junior from Saint Rose, Louisiana, Young suffered a broken collarbone in fall camp which sidelined him for the first three games of the 2019 season.

Observer File Photo

Irish wide receiver Michael Young runs for a long reception during Notre Dame’s 56-27 win over Wake Forest on Sept. 22, 2018.

As a freshman, Young did not catch any passes, but contributed predominantly as a member of the special teams unit. During his sophomore campaign, Young appeared in seven games, recording seven receptions for 138 yards on the year, both ranking eighth on the team. His longest reception of the season came on a catch-and-run against Wake Forest for a 66-yard gain. His lone score of the season came on a 47-yard pass up the middle against Northwestern.

In addition to playing receiver, Young also served as kick returner for the Irish, taking nine kickoffs for 191 yards and a 21.2 average last season. His longest return of 48 yards came against Vanderbilt.

After his three-game hiatus, Young made his return during Notre Dame’s matchup against then-No. 18 Virginia. In his first appearance of 2019, Young had three receptions for 19 yards and one carry for two yards on the ground. The following game, he recorded only one reception for loss of a yard against Bowling Green.

In the most recent game against rival USC, Young caught two receptions for four yards. He nearly had his first breakthrough of the year as he received the opening kickoff of the second half against the Trojans (4-3), using his speed to cut through the would-be tacklers to have an open field ahead of him. However, as he broke through, the ball slipped out of his hand and he was forced to dive on it to recover the fumble. In total, Young is ninth on the team in receptions with six, and is 11th in receiving yards with 21.

Young would have two years of eligibility remaining wherever he would elect to transfer, as he has not yet reached the four-game maximum in order to maintain a redshirt season.

Tags: ,