-

-

On the subject of Respect Life Week

| Wednesday, October 2, 2019

If you’ve been to any dining hall this week, you might have noticed the pink placards placed on the tables; it’s Respect Life Week on campus.

It’s been touted as a “celebration of life” with events just supporting … you know … life! I think such a week definitely has merit, especially in the context of a Catholic university. With the subject of abortion being such a sensitive topic for most however, I find it a little bit disheartening that those of us who believe the pro-choice mentality are left out.

I feel like this week at times divides people that are supposed to be peers with one another, with no way to really engage with other viewpoints. I’m writing this article on day two, and we already have a divide in our small friend group. Imagine a student panel (or even a time where you’re encouraged to engage with your friends) where we debated the morality or ethics of abortion and how our viewpoints transcend our religious beliefs and into legislation, or events where we discuss ways to prevent the need for abortion (such as improving sex education in schools or encouraging safer sex behaviors) without actually getting rid of it.

However, I do believe that ND Right to Life has every right to host these events this week and more in the future. I also encourage everyone who believes that mentality to voice their opinion; I just wish there were more opportunities for those with stories and opposing views to participate in the fun too.

Last, it has come to my attention that Saturday’s activities are a visit to an abortion clinic. I strongly urge ND Right to Life to reconsider this event. I don’t see the value in interfering with women who have made their tough decision. I think our presence as a University could potentially make their guests rather uncomfortable and the effects of our actions may be traumatic; I don’t think that reaction is one that ND Right to Life would be comfortable giving.

Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoy the rest of your festivities,

Lito Morona
4th year architecture student
Oct. 1

Tags: ,

Letters to the Editor can be submitted by all members of the Notre Dame community. To submit a letter to the Viewpoint Editor, email [email protected]