-

-

Saint Mary’s RHA to co-host Navy Ball with SGA, replacing annual fall formal

| Friday, October 11, 2019

Saint Mary’s Residence Hall Association (RHA) announced in a campus-wide email Friday it will not be hosting its annual fall formal. Instead, RHA will be collaborating with the Student Government Association (SGA) to plan and host this year’s Navy Ball on Nov. 15.

“The Saint Mary’s College Administration and RHA have decided to reevaluate formal and work on making positive changes to improve the experience for students,” senior Grace Kelly, RHA President, said in an email.

Midshipmen from the United States Naval Academy will be in attendance, the email said, but Saint Mary’s students will also be welcome to invite and bring a date of their own. Additionally, RHA announced the event will be able to accommodate a larger number of guests than in years past.

“We have re-evaluated the fire capacity for the venue and determined that there is legal capability for us to accommodate more students than we have in the past,” Kelly said.

Students who wish to attend the Navy Ball will be required to sign a waiver outlining the expectations for attending this year’s event, the email said. These guidelines are similar to those upheld at past formals, Kelly said.

“The expectations for attending Navy Ball are the exact same expectations that have been stated in the past for attending formal,” she said. “Students will be expected to follow the well-known rules of not participating in drinking or substance use prior to the event and during it, as well as behaving maturely and respecting the venue property.”

RHA has not yet decided whether it will be hosting a spring semester formal, Kelly said.

“We highly encourage students to attend Navy Ball as we are making suggested changes and implementing them at this event to see how receptive these changes would be for the foreseeable future,” she said. “We’ve got a great event planned and the members of RHA and SGA have great experience in planning events such as Navy Ball.”

More information will be provided and ticket sales will open within the next few weeks.

About Maeve Filbin

Contact Maeve