-

-

Sports

Saints begin conference play, continue strong starts in multiple sports

| Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Men’s Soccer 

The Holy Cross men’s soccer team hit the road this weekend to take on Governors State in Chicago. The frigid air of the Windy City did not seem to favor the Saints (6-2, 2-1 CCAC); when the game kicked off at 9 p.m., wind speeds were clocking in at nearly 13 miles per hour and the temperature was 60 degrees. The Jaguars (4-3, 1-2 CCAC) were able to break the Saints six-game win streak with a final score of 1-4. This loss came as a major disappointment to the Saints, who had played much better soccer throughout the course of the day. The Saints were able to outshoot the Jaguars 24-11, but Saints junior goalkeeper Lewis Tomlinson was only able to muster one save on the day. Tomlinson dug a hole early for the Saints when the ball was intercepted off his kick in the 18th minute and subsequently ended up in the back of his goal. The Saints were never able to recover from this early deficit and their only goal of the day came off of the foot of freshman midfielder Elmin Ejup during the 36th minute, a 20-yard direct kick. Tuesday, the Saints will be traveling back to Chicago again to take on Roosevelt University (5-3, 3-0 CCAC) at IIT Stuart Field at 3 p.m. and will be looking to begin a new winning streak after their last was snapped. 

Women’s Soccer 

The Saints women’s soccer squad also travelled north to take on Governors State over the weekend. The Saints (4-4, 1-2-0 CCAC) took on the Jaguars (0-7-1, 0-2-1 CCAC) as a light drizzle poured down from above. While the ugly weather did not seem to favor the men, the women seemed to acclimate to it as they were able to shut out the Jaguars 2-0. The Saints were able to outshoot the Jaguars a whopping 23-9 in the match, and were able to find an opportune win that pushed them to 4-4 as they head into the second half of their season. Freshman midfielder Nicole Cook led the way, racking up 5 shots — 3 on goal — and dishing out two assists to earn the Saints victory. Cook’s first assist came just 7 minutes into the match on a pass to junior midfielder Eleanor Boothman who was just five yards out from the goal. Boothman tallied 3 shots on goal throughout the course of the day. Cook’s next assist came much later in the game in the 78th minute, as she served the ball to fellow freshman midfielder Olivia Shaw, who made a shot from the top of the box. The Saints will head back to Chicago on Tuesday to take on Roosevelt University (1-3-2, 0-2-1 CCAC) at 3:30 p.m. at IIT Stuart Field.

Men’s Golf 

The Saints men’s golf team has improved year by year thanks to the help of head coach TJ Mannen. The men have ended up at the top of the leaderboards in the past two tournaments they have competed in. They placed first at the Battle of Blackthorn hosted by Bethel College on Sept. 21, and bounced back right after that to finish first at the Blue Devil Classic at the Treetops Resort, in Gaylord, Michigan hosted by Lawrence Tech University. Senior Blake Vise led the way at the Blue Devil Classic, posting a final score of seven under par. After his stellar performance Vise became the first golfer in Holy Cross history to earn a ranking in the World Amateur Golf Rankings, coming in at 5,825 place in the world of amateur golfers. However, Vise was not the only Saint to finish in the top 10, or in the top five for that matter. Sophomore Carter Silva finished second shooting a one over par and freshman Quinn Arial finished tied for third at two over par. The Saints currently have boots on the ground in Homewood, Illinois as they search for their third consecutive CCAC Cup title.

Women’s Golf

The Holy Cross women’s golf squad is going through a rebuilding phase at the moment. Aside from only one returning player in sophomore Madison Pool, the team consists strictly of freshmen. However, the experience could end up benefiting the individuals as the team consists of just five players who are all likely to see a lot of tournaments and better adapt themselves to collegiate golf than teams throughout the conference who are stacked with upperclassmen. At the Blue Devil Classic at the Treetops Resort, in Gaylord, Michigan, freshman Kaitlyn Vazquez led the way for the Saints, finishing seventh overall with first and second round scores of 80 and 76. The team is currently competing at the CCAC Cup in Homewood, Illinois at Ravisloe Country Club. 

Men’s Tennis 

The Holy Cross Men’s Tennis team got off to a strong start on their season, hosting cross-town rival Bethel University. The Saints (1-0) defeated the Pilots 7-0 at Leeper Park. Sophomore Dominic Gibson got the win in the No. 1 singles defeating his opponent 7-5, 6-2. Meanwhile, junior Dylan Euzarraga came out victorious in No. 2 singles, defeating his opponent, 6-1, 7-6. The next matchup for the Saints will come on Oct. 18 against Indiana University Southeast at 1 p.m. in Leeper Park.