Student Activities Board hopes to create community at annual Oktoberfest

Saint Mary’s Student Activities Board will host the annual Oktoberfest on Friday from 4 to 6 p.m. on Library Green, where students will have the chance to enjoy fall-themed food and activities. 

This year, Student Activities Board has planned many activities to help provide a bonding opportunity for the campus community. Senior Emma Freund, Student Activities Board president, said the event will be a fun way for students to relax and spend time together. 

“We’re really looking forward to the event,” Freund said. “It’s going to be a lot of fun and will be a great way for the campus to celebrate fall.” 

Junior Claire Linginfelter, a Student Activities Board member, said the board has planned many different activities, even bringing back some old favorites that students enjoyed in past years.

“This year, we brought back activities like pumpkin carving and we’re having a fall hayride around Saint Mary’s property,” Linginfelter said. 

There will also be other craft activities and lots of fall-themed food, Freund said. 

“We are going to have apple cider, different pies and candy,” she said. “It’s going to be a lot of fun. We also have a lot of other crafts planned, so we think it’s going to be a great way to bring the community together.” 

Student Activities Board has worked hard to plan this event, Freund said, even changing the event to fall on a Friday in order to accommodate students. 

“Oktoberfest is always difficult to plan because of the timing and the different resources that need to go into it,” Freund said. “The event is usually on Saturday, but this year there weren’t any available weekends so we decided that Friday would be a better day for students. Now students can stop by before they start their weekends. On Sundays, when we usually have the event, students are usually trying to study.”

The event involved detailed planning and coordination by members of the Student Activities Board, Linginfelter said. 

“It’s been really great to see how well the event was organized with the help of our president, and the committee that is working on this,” Linginfelter said. “They have a lot of new ideas and more innovative ways to make Oktoberfest more successful this year.” 

There will be different prizes and free giveaways that will be offered to students who attend the event. 

“We’re going to have some really great giveaways,” Freund said. “We have some cute t-shirts and phone card holders. It’s going to be a great event and we hope everyone will stop by.“ 

Linginfelter said she hopes this event encourages bonding between students in the community. 

“Oktoberfest is just a great way to see everyone, spend time with your friends and explore the Saint Mary’s campus,” Linginfelter said.