-

-

ND Women’s Tennis

Women’s tennis to compete at ITA Regionals

| Thursday, October 17, 2019

The Notre Dame women’s tennis team will compete at the International Tennis Association Regional Tournament at Michigan State University from Thursday to Sunday. The tournament will feature some of the best individual and doubles teams from around the country in what looks to be an exciting, competitive tournament. 

Head women’s tennis coach Alison Silverio says this is one of the biggest competitions of the season for her team. 

“This is a prestigious individual event for our midwest region,” Silverio said. “It affords us the opportunity to qualify individuals into Fall Nationals in November.”

The ITA Nationals will feature the 32 best individual women and 32 best doubles teams in the country. Silverio hopes some of her players qualify for this prestigious tournament by playing well this coming week in East Lansing.

This season there have been many positive signs for the Irish. Earlier this year, individuals and doubles teams competed at the Wolverine Invitational at Ann Arbor and the Auburn Invitational. At the Wolverine Invitational, freshman Page Freeman recording her first career singles win and junior Julia Lilien picked up singles and doubles wins. The team played well at Auburn as well with sophomore Maeve Koscielski picking up singles and doubles wins.

The team also competed at the ITA All Americans where the doubles duo of senior Zoe Spence and junior Cameron Corse picked up a doubles win. These athletes and the rest of the team, Silverio said, will look to build off of this early success when the stakes are high at the regional tournament.

Michelle Mehelas | The Observer

Irish junior Abby Bojczuk serves the ball during Notre Dame’s victory over Bowling Green State University on Jan. 23.

Silverio fully expects her athletes to compete at their highest level for the tournament.

“We believe this tournament will be a breakout for many, and we are ready to capitalize on our opportunities,” Silverio said. “We expect everyone to level up this weekend.”

Tennis is a mentally challenging game, and the players will need to have the right mentality to compete at their best, Silverio said. 

“Our mentality is simple: focus on the controllables and trust our process,” she said.

Silverio hopes her team finds the competitive edge necessary for the high caliber match the team will be competing in.

“The team’s goal is to be a tough out each match,” Silverio said. “The individual goal for each of our players is to create their competitive edge and professional presence.”

Beyond this week’s match, the team has larger goals, but Silverio said all the focus is on the match in front of them. Silverio stressed not looking ahead to any goals down the road.

“Our main focus is right in front of us for ITA Regionals: competitive excellence,” she said.

The Irish will look to bring their competitive excellence to the court in East Lansing and to the rest of the season as the postseason begins to intensify and the stakes begin to rise.

About Nate Moller

Contact Nate