Call for artwork

Since 2012, Show Some Skin has given voice to unspoken stories from the members of the Notre Dame community. Each year, dozens of brave individuals have shared their stories about identity and difference, from which we select and present some of those anonymous monologues. As a movement, Show Some Skin strives to be a catalyst for the campus community’s discovery and appreciation of Notre Dame’s true diversity and complexity.

Beginning in September, we asked the Notre Dame community what they see in 20/20. In response, we received over 80 stories, making us laugh, cry and experience the full range of human emotions. Some of these stories were about finding clarity. Others were about seeing the blindness in others. All of them allowed our team to see the world in new ways we never would have experienced.

To everyone who submitted a story: Thank you. Thank you for your bravery and vulnerability. Thank you for sharing your perspective on life. Every year, our writers give us so much light and hope.

As we were developing the theme for this year’s show, we came across the idea of “Envision 20/20.” The more we discussed this theme, the more we realized that we wanted to leave it up for interpretation. At the same time, we recognized there were many directions we could take regarding the design of our posters.

In recognition of the vision of the Notre Dame community, Show Some Skin is piloting a new initiative to realize the stories shared with us: Envision 20/20, a call for artwork to let designers share how they see Show Some Skin represented on campus.

In our Call for Stories, we asked a series of 20 questions to get you thinking. Now, we are asking you to visualize 20/20. What would a Show Some Skin poster look like for this year? How would you advertise our show for 20/20?

One of our motivations with this call for artwork is to find designers for Show Some Skin. We understand there are many different ways of telling stories, and we want to provide yet another venue to share your story. In addition to submitting artwork, we may contact you to discuss other directions we may take with your work. This may include an exhibition of the artwork we receive, in addition to using it on posters and on our social media.

Please keep in mind: our call for artwork is NOT anonymous. By submitting artwork, you will also need to submit your email address. We will not release any of your information without your consent.

Submissions are due Jan. 17, 2020. If you have any questions, please contact executive producer, Peyton Davis, at pdavis6@nd.edu, or the Show Some Skin leadership team at s.someskin@gmail.com.

Peyton Davis is a senior and can be contacted at pdavis6@nd.edu. Show Some Skin is a student-run initiative committed to giving voice to unspoken narratives about identity and difference. Using the art of storytelling as a catalyst for positive social change across campus, we seek to make Notre Dame a more open and welcoming place for all. If you are interested in breaking the silence and getting involved with Show Some Skin, email pdavis6@nd.edu.