-

-

Sports Authority

Capece: Tune in to the ‘Flagrant 2’ on WVFI

| Thursday, November 21, 2019

Growing up in New York, there was no greater contributor to my love for sports than sports talk radio. WFAN and ESPN New York became the soundtrack for my childhood, and the hot takes of Boomer Esiason and Craig Carton in the morning, as well as the heated debates between Mike Francesca and Christopher Russo in the afternoon, helped shape me into the passionate and highly opinionated fan that I am today. However, I am delighted to inform readers that the sports media capital of the world is not the only place where high quality sports talk radio exists. In fact, I have discovered a creative and witty new show that’s produced right here at Notre Dame and broadcast live over the internet on WVFI.

The “Flagrant 2,” a new radio show co-hosted by my roommates, sophomores Jacob Messineo and Gordie Bess, airs from 1 – 2 p.m. every Friday on WVFI. Messineo is a wannabe New Yorker from Georgia, Vermont, while Bess is an “In-N-Out” loving, non-bandwagon Clippers fan from Los Angeles. While Bess serves as the straight man to the more controversial Messineo, both give takes from the heart regarding the biggest stories in sports. The guys had me on the show as a guest last week, and I got the chance to interview them about their new endeavor.

When I asked the guys what makes their radio show unique, Bess and Messineo were quick to point out that the “Flagrant 2” is not the run-of-the-mill sports radio show.

“We don’t necessarily want to talk about what ESPN is talking about, and we really like to change it up with some unique segments,” Bess said.

Some of those segments have included things like “Grit Team of the Week,” where the guys will give shout-outs to the players with the grittiest gridiron performances from the past week. When I was on the show last week, the hosts held a mock trial to discuss the transgressions of the Houston Astros cheating scandal and Myles Garrett helmet mishap.

The “Flagrant 2” also stands out as a show that’s more conversational than the typical sports radio program.

“Especially for our guests, we don’t want to make it seem as if we are broadcasting to an audience, but rather that it’s just a typical conversation amongst friends,” said Messineo. “We also want people on our show to say what they truly believe and not direct them one way or the other. As we like to say, we pride ourselves on giving takes from the heart.”

The “Flagrant 2” is still only a couple months old, but Bess and Messineo are hoping to grow the show to a point where they can get a respectable guest to come on the air. While the hosts said it was nice to have an “esteemed” journalist like myself on the show, my roommates are thinking much bigger.

“If we could have anyone on the show, I think it would have to be Stephen A. Smith. He would definitely blend well with the culture we try to create on our show,” Bess said.

Messineo mentioned that University of Minnesota head football coach P.J. Fleck and facilitating Iowa men’s basketball point guard Jordan Bohannon would also be great guests. However, while the hosts want the show to expand in the future, they still just want to enjoy themselves fun on the air.

“For right now, we just want to have fun with the show and take it week by week,” Messineo said.

Make sure to tune in to the “Flagrant 2” this Friday at 1 p.m. on WVFI.

About Colin Capece

Contact Colin