Karen Johnson, SMC vice president for student affairs, to retire after fall semester

Saint Mary’s vice president for student affairs Karen Johnson announced Tuesday she will retire from the College at the conclusion of this fall semester in a Facebook post to the “Saint Mary’s Class of 2021 Parents” page.

“The time is right and I am ready for a new adventure (not sure what that is just yet),” Johnson said in the post. “It has been my pleasure to work with all of you and support your daughters on their journey.”

Johnson came to Saint Mary’s in 2006 and has filled her position for 13 years.

“It has been my great honor and pleasure to serve and work at Saint Mary’s College these past 13 years,” Johnson said in an email. “I will always hold the College in my heart.”

Last year, Johnson announced she would be retiring Oct. 6, 2018, but was asked to remain at the College following former  College President Jan Cervelli’s resignation and current Interim President Nancy Nekvasil’s installment.

“I am grateful to support Saint Mary’s and Interim President Nekvasil,” Johnson said in an email to The Observer in 2018. “Retirement can be saved for another time.”

There is a plan in place to give parents more information and to answer any questions, Johnson said in the Facebook post.

“In the meantime, I am still here to support you,” Johnson said. “Thank you for being such great parents.”