-

-

irish insider

Mick Assaf reflects on conditioning, standards at Notre Dame

| Friday, November 22, 2019

Running back Mick Assaf made his mark on the Notre Dame community both on the football team and on campus. Assaf has not only been a critical member of the offensive scout team, but he has also been a media personality with the popular “Mick’s Mix Tape,” where Assaf converses with his teammates.

Emma Farnan | The Observer

Irish senior running back Mick Assaf during Notre Dame’s dominate 52-0 victory over Bowling Green on Oct. 5 at Notre Dame Stadium.

For the Atlanta native, those same teammates have also made the biggest impact on him during his time at Notre Dame.

“Whether it’s the scout offensive guys I’ve been with for four years, or just the running back group, it really doesn’t matter,” Assaf said. “It’s whoever you’re with at that moment in your lift group. It’s just kind of those guys that make everything so special here.”

Assaf said his teammates have also played a big role in some of the memories he’s made during his time at Notre Dame.

“It’s the little things, just being with your teammates day in and day out,” he said. “Everyone loves game day, everyone loves when you beat USC, everyone loves when you beat Stanford. But those moments on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday that are special because they happen here, and we don’t have to deal with anyone else’s opinion of what happened. We just get to enjoy it.”

Assaf saw limited action on the field during his Irish career, but he was able to contribute at the end of Notre Dame’s 52-0 win over Bowling Green in October, where he had four carries for 15 yards.

A big part of every student athlete’s experience is conditioning, whether it be in the weight room, on the field or running to maintain shape. One of Assaf’s biggest memories, he said, came when the members of the team were required to run the stairs of Notre Dame Stadium.

“A specific highlight I will always remember is running every step in the stadium in the summer when no one was here,” Assaf said. “It was exhausting but it’s something that you’ll always remember and something that you can’t really take away from your team on Saturday. No matter what happens, you always kind of have that memory.”

Notre Dame’s high academic standards and prestige, the prestige of the football team and the fact that his older brothers either attend or have attended school here were contributing factors to Assaf’s decision to come to South Bend.

“I was drawn to Notre Dame because I felt like it was the pinnacle of where academics met athletics, specifically where a business school met football,” he said. “That along with two brothers being here, while I was in high school and when I arrived, was something that drew me to Notre Dame.”

It is the same high-quality education that drew Assaf in that he said he hopes will help him in his future plans, as the marketing major is already in the works of creating his own company.

“I’m working on starting a company called Yoke that is a two-sided virtual marketplace that allows fans to interact with their favorite celebrities through live video chatting, so we’ll see where that goes,” he said.

About Dominic Gibson

Contact Dominic