-

-

Student organizations sponsor donation drive for local maternity home

| Friday, November 1, 2019

This week, Saints Mary’s Belles for Life, Student Nurses Association and Campus Ministry joined forces to sponsor a donation drive for expectant and young mothers as well as their chilrden at Hannah’s House, a faith-based maternity home in the local community. 

“As the only maternity home in the Michiana region, our 24-hour staff offers structure, safety, mentoring and accountability, as well as access to existing community resources for pregnant women and single moms,” Hannah’s House says on their website. “For over 25 years, our services have transformed the lives of hundreds of women and their babies.”

Hannah’s House puts an emphasis on providing young, expectant mothers with lodging during their pregnancy, according to their website. However, the organization offers a further range of “programs and services” for young women who are either pregnant or new mothers.

“The need for a safe place for young women to live during their pregnancy is an important part of our mission,” their website says. At Hannah’s House, we’ve built upon this foundation with programs and services to provide pregnant moms and their babies a thorough range of programs to help navigate and prepare for a confident, healthy and successful future.”

Donation bins were placed in every residence hall at the College, the Cushwa-Leighton Library and Havican Hall to collect the most needed items for guests at Hannah’s House. These included clothing, hygiene products, baby wipes and parenting books. 

This year’s event represents the first annual Mother and Baby Item Donation Drive, senior Morgan Chichester, president of Belles for Life, said in an email.  

“The drive was started as an opportunity to honor October’s nationwide Respect Life Month and [to] support Saint Mary’s community partners,” Chichester. said “The success of this drive was due to the collaboration of different organizations.”

Hannah’s House, located in Mishawaka, provides shelter to both pregnant and single young women who are already mothers in the greater South Bend area. Being a Catholic organization, Saint Mary’s Campus Ministry has established a relationship to be a campus partner. 

“It is an honor to support Hannah’s House,” Chichester said.

Other events designed to raise awareness for Respect Life Month included t-shirt sales and keynote speakers discussing pro-life issues.

Students involved with Belles for Life and Student Nurses Association were responsible for advertising the donation drive and for encouraging members of their organizations to support the cause.

Despite marketing efforts made by these organizations, many students on campus were unaware the drive was going on. Junior Emma Cassidy said she did not know the donation drive was taking place this week. 

“If I would have known I would have made an effort to donate something,” said Cassidy. “There are so many events and fundraisers occurring on campus it is hard to tell one from the other.”

The drive will conclude this coming Sunday.

About Mia Marroquin

Mia Marroquin is a rising senior Communication Studies major at Saint Mary’s. Currently serving as Saint Mary’s News Editor, she hails from Holland, Michigan and is an 80’s movie fanatic. Follow Mia on Twitter @_miamarroquin

Contact Mia