-

-

irish insider

Temitope Agoro reminisces on times with his team

| Friday, November 22, 2019

Temitope Agoro — or as his friends call him, “Timmy” — has been critical for the Irish secondary for four years. The senior cornerback hailing from Riverdale, Maryland, played an important role on the special teams squad last year, playing in 11 games on the season. 

Annie Smierciak | The Observer

Irish senior cornerback Temitope Agoro stands on the sideline during Notre Dame’s 66-14 win over New Mexico on Sep. 14.

“I think what I liked about Notre Dame is it had good football and good academics,” Agoro said. “I wanted to go to a place where I could get a good degree and play for a big-time football program.”

Agoro’s journey has been a long one, to say the least. His freshman year, he walked on to the squad for the infamous 4-8 2016 season. Agoro served as a vital member of the defensive scouting team in 2016. The next season he saw his first snap in action at Notre Dame Stadium against Miami (Ohio), where the Irish recorded their most dominant win of the 2017 season, beating the RedHawks 52-17. Agoro continued to play a valuable role for the defensive scout team.

However, this season Agoro has seen plenty more playing time. He has played in all 10 games thus far, recording three tackles on the year, two against New Mexico and one against Bowling Green. 

The people Agoro credited most to his development as a player are teammates you might not expect.

“I want to say [director of football performance] Matt Balis and [assistant strength and conditioning coach] Ian Bures, because when I came in, I was only like 175 [pounds],” Agoro said. “I was small, wasn’t really strong. I was fast but wasn’t explosive, and they completely changed my body physique.”

When asked what his last game as a senior at Notre Dame Stadium means to him, Agoro had a tough time dealing with the reality of graduation and said something nearly all of the seniors have said coming into this week: time flies.

“I don’t know,” Agoro said. “I feel like right now, I don’t really feel much. But I know after [the game], that’s when it’s actually going to hit me. I’m just going to reminisce on the past four years and how fast it’s gone by. It’s going to be a strong feeling of nostalgia.”

As for his plans after his football days are over, Agoro surely has a bright future ahead of him, as he will graduate with a degree in mechanical engineering. 

“I’ve always wanted to be an entrepreneur, but I don’t know exactly,” he said. “I’m thinking about working with one of my professors — she wants me to continue with this one project, which I plan to do. Or I like cooking, so I might do that.” 

Agoro’s go-to meal to cook is wings, not one particular flavor of wings either. His favorite is a mix of Asian zing, hot sauce and barbecue with ranch. 

But a culinary career is not his only option — though it seems to be his favorite — as he also has a potential career with a Houston-based wine company on the horizon.

About Jimmy Ward

Contact Jimmy