Thank you

Dear Student Body,Two years ago, I was asked to be a part of a video project that hoped to invite people to Mass following each Notre Dame Football game. The concept was really quite simple: Weave a few clips of me preparing for and celebrating Mass together with some high-energy shots from around campus, set it to a track with some inspirational beats, and then we had it — a Mass hype video. The first time the hype video ran in the stadium, a curious thing began to happen. The student section, standing tall on the bleachers, would cheer when I appeared on screen. At first, I thought it was by accident, but with over two years of consistent cheering, I would say that there’s a humbling trend.You might be wondering why I would then proceed to write a Letter to the Editor about people cheering for me in the stadium. Some would say — heck, I would say — just be honored and don’t get a big head. While all that is true, I was also taught from a young age to express gratitude when people show such kindness. So here goes. One of the greatest blessings of my priesthood is to know you, share life with you and be a part of the Notre Dame community. During my years at Notre Dame, I’ve had the chance to serve as an assistant rector, rector and now the director of Campus Ministry. In each instance, I have been powerfully impacted by the student body. I love so deeply how much you care and how you look out for one another. I so admire the genuine ways that you pursue your studies and leadership opportunities with the sincere hope that you will make an impact in the world more broadly. Every day, I am inspired by your optimism, inclusivity and the desire to learn from past mistakes. This Letter to the Editor was never really about the cheering (that tends to come and go) and always about the Notre Dame student body.  Thank you for inspiring me. Thank you for all you are and all that you will become. May God bless you now and always.  

In Notre Dame,

Fr. Pete McCormick, C.S.C.   

director, Campus Ministry

Nov. 17