College recognizes those living the SMC mission through new initiative

Saint Mary’s vice president for mission Judith Fean emailed the College community to announce a new initiative Nov. 22. The Mission Moment Appreciation is a new program based around recognizing small and regular instances of the College’s mission within the Saint Mary’s community. Recognition will occur based on nominations.

According to the email, the criteria for nominations are that the student reflect either the Saint Mary’s mission statement or the core values of “learning,” “community,” “faith/spirituality” and “justice.” The full mission statement can be found on the College website. It focuses on themes of intellectual vigor for women and fostering an “inclusive, academic community where students discover and develop their talents as they prepare to make a difference in the world,” according to the website. Saint Mary’s is dedicated to embodying the mission and practicing it contemporary life, the website says.

“We wanted an opportunity where each member of the community could recognize and appreciate their peers, those they work with and those who mentor them as we continue to build a learning community where faith and justice leads to building a more inclusive and equitable community,” Fean said in an email to The Observer. “Mission Moment Appreciation is one way [of] personally showing your appreciation and gratitude.”

There has already been some interest and buzz in the community around the initiative, and several nominations from the community, Fean said.

“After the announcement was made, many members of the community sent emails to me thanking the [mission] council for offering this opportunity to recognize those who they see living the mission of the College,” Fean said in the email.

Each year, the College selects one of the four values and highlights it around campus through banners, photos and actions. Though the Mission Moment program honors people serving all of the core values, according to Fean, the College is highlighting the core value of “community” this year.

According to an attachment included in Fean’s email, the program seeks to continue the vision of the founding Sisters of the Holy Cross, as well as honor their legacy. It is one way to connect the history of the mission statement to its modern-day applications, Fean said.

“We hope the Mission Moment Appreciation Initiative will be one way to celebrate the many members of the Saint Mary’s Community [as] you continue to share their gifts, talents and knowledge to create an inclusive and welcoming community as we continue to honor the legacy of the Sisters of the Holy Cross and shape our future,” Fean said in the email.

Fean said the initiative serves its purpose by recognizing those she considers to be continuing God’s gift of stewardship.

“I see this initiative continuing to recognize the commitment to foster an environment of academic excellence, learning [and] sustain a community where each member is valued ... [to] support [our] spiritual needs as we spiritually grow and lead lives of faith and respect all persons because of their God-given dignity ... [and] act as responsible stewards of resources and advocate social action with compassion,” she said in the email.

Every semester, the Office of Mission will recognize all the nominees through an email to the entire community.

Nominations are accepted at the Office of Mission in 131 Le Mans Hall. A brief written statement describing how the person is living the mission in the Mission Moment Appreciation book is required. The office then will give the nominator a pin and card to give to the nominee.