-

-

Sports

Dunne, Flaherty and Farley all named interhall champions on Sunday

| Tuesday, December 3, 2019

While 80,000 people may have descended upon Notre Dame Stadium this past Saturday to watch the Irish beat Boston College on Senior Day, the victory celebrations didn’t end that day.

On Sunday, Notre Dame Stadium hosted a variety of intramural games, with three dorms — Dunne Hall, Flaherty Hall and Farley Hall — walking away as champions in their respective league.

For the men’s bracket, Dunne Hall bested Morrissey Manor to claim the title. The 7-6 victory was made possible by a two-point conversion to give the Sentinels the lead. After losing their first two games of the regular season, Dunne made an impressive comeback, beating Sorin College 8-0 to close out the regular season before winning four straight games to be crowned champions. Similarly, Morrissey Manor was by no means the favorite to make it to the stadium, with their lone regular season victory coming against none other than Dunne Hall.

However, Morrissey too turned it on at the right time and posted a defensive performance for the ages, allowing only one touchdown in the semifinals on the way to the stadium.

Meanwhile, the women’s A-team bracket featured a fellow Cinderella story — Badin Hall — against Flaherty Hall. After only winning one game in the regular season, the Bullfrogs were the 11th seed heading into playoffs. However, an upset over sixth-seeded Pasquerilla West, third-seeded Pasquerilla East and finally second-seeded Welsh Family secured Badin’s ticket to the stadium.

Led by sophomore quarterback Cam Dowd, the Bullfrogs built a run-first offensive scheme and managed to pull out the wins when it mattered most. However, that streak would come up short against the Bears.

Both teams were in the same regular season league, with Flaherty taking their matchup 14-7. Once again, Flaherty came out with the win, this time however a bit narrower, winning 20-19 on Saturday.

Finally, in the women’s interhall B-team bracket, Farley Hall dominated Pasquerilla East Hall with a 21-9 victory. This capped off an undefeated season for the Finest, who won their seven games by an average of nearly 32 points. In many ways this matchup was expected, as the Pyros and Finest met at the end of the regular season, with Farley once again claiming the victory but by a narrower margin of 10 points, the closest game Farley saw all season.

While Farley boasted a high-power offense, the Pyros were a defensive force throughout the year, holding their opponents to an average of 12 points per game in addition to posting two shutouts.