-

-

Football

Ian Book expected to return for fifth year

| Monday, December 30, 2019

Notre Dame senior quarterback Ian Book has indicated that he will return for a fifth season with the Irish in 2020. Although he did not expressly state that he would return, he posted a picture of himself on Instagram one day after Notre Dame’s 33-9 Camping World Bowl victory over Iowa State.

The post included a picture of Book throwing the ball with the words “See you in 2020,” and “Go Irish.” He captioned the photo with the hashtag #BeatNavy and tagged the post with the location Dublin, Ireland, alluding to Notre Dame’s season-opening Shamrock Series game against the Midshipmen in Dublin.

Allison Thornton | The Observer

Irish senior quarterback Ian Book stiff arms a defender while shielding the ball during Notre Dame’s 33-9 win over Iowa State in the Camping World Bowl on Saturday.

Book started every game for the Irish this season, bringing his career total to 23 starts with a record of 20-3. His only losses came at the hands of then-No. 3 Georgia and then-No. 19 Michigan in road games this season, and to eventual national champion Clemson in a College Football Playoff semifinal game last season.

This season, Book broke his career marks for rushing and passing yards with 567 and 3,039, respectively. Although his completion percentage dipped between this season and the previous one, he improved his passing touchdown total from 19 to 34 and threw one fewer interception in 2019.

With the return of Book, Notre Dame’s 2020 quarterback depth chart is expected to include him as a redshirt senior, redshirt sophomore Phil Jurkovec, redshirt freshman Brendon Clark and true freshman Drew Pyne.

The Irish will take on Navy in Dublin on Aug. 29 of next season.