Irish lose Carmody to injury, Doherty opts to transfer

Sophomore guard Robby Carmody will miss the remainder of the 2019-2020 season after suffering an injury to his left ACL in the final minute of Notre Dame’s loss to No. 3 Maryland on Wednesday night.

1541558185-4932ba4ef1ac3de-700x482
Emma Farnan | The Observer
Irish sophomore guard Robby Carmody looks to pass the ball during Notre Dame's 76-54 win over Central State on Nov. 1, 2018 at Purcell Pavilion.

Carmody has played in the majority of the team’s games thus far, appearing in seven out of eight games and averaging 5.4 points, 1.6 rebounds and 13.7 minutes per game. Carmody was limited to only nine games as a freshman after suffering a torn labrum in his shoulder.

The loss comes at an inopportune time for Irish men’s basketball. On Tuesday, head coach Mike Brey announced sophomore forward Chris Doherty has decided to transfer out of the program. So far this season, Doherty has averaged 2.5 minutes, 1.0 points, and 0.7 rebounds per game. Brey intended to redshirt Doherty last season, but injuries to several players necessitated burning his redshirt to help fill minutes.

The Irish are now left with only eight scholarship players available, with walk-on freshman guard Elijah Morgan in reserve and sophomore guard Cormac Ryan sitting due to NCAA transfer rules after playing for Stanford last season.