-

-

Baseball

Notre Dame baseball reveals 2020 schedule

| Wednesday, December 4, 2019

After a season that failed to live up to expectations, one in which the Irish finished the year 24-30 overall, going 13-17 in ACC play and losing their first and only two games of the ACC tournament, the Irish will look to bounce back in 2020 with new head coach Link Jarrett.

Observer File Photo

Irish junior pitcher Tommy Sheehan prepares to pitch during a 5-2 victory against Virginia at Frank Eck Stadium on April 5. Sheehan led the team with five wins and 92.1 innings pitched last season.

The Irish will open their first season under Jarrett, once a member of the Notre Dame baseball roster, on Feb. 14 with a three-game series on the road against non-conference opponent UAB. The season opener for the Irish marks just the second time in program history they’ve faced off against UAB, the last time being during the 2011 Caravelle Resort Classic when the Irish defeated the Dragons 3-0.

After that season road opener, the Irish will continue non-conference play with the Alamo Irish Classic from Feb. 20-22. The tournament will take place at Nelson Wolff Stadium, the home stadium of San Antonio, and will feature Incarnate Word and Toledo, along with the Irish and UT San Antonio. Luckily for Notre Dame, they have faced all three of these opponents in the past, holding a record of 4-3 against UT San Antonio, 46-14 against Toledo and 7-4 against Incarnate Word.

The Irish will close out non-conference winter play in the days following the Alamo Irish Classic with a road series against Presbyterian, whom the Irish will face for only the second time in program history.

Notre Dame will get some time off after the road series at Presbyterian, but they will begin ACC conference play on March 6 with a three-game road series against North Carolina. The series will mark the first trip to Chapel Hill, North Carolina, for the Irish since 2016. Last season, the Tar Heels took two of three from the Irish at Frank Eck Stadium, and they went on to make the Super Regionals.

Notre Dame’s conference schedule rounds out with series against Louisville, Florida State, Virginia Tech and NC State. However, in the midst of this demanding conference schedule, the Irish take on non-conference opponent Central Michigan at home in a two-game series starting on May 9. Central Michigan put on an impressive showing last year, claiming the MAC title and defeating No. 2 Miami in the Starkville Regional. The Irish are 21-13-1 all time against Central Michigan.

Beyond these conference series, Notre Dame will have midweek matchups against non-conference opponents Radford, Western Michigan, Kent State, Chicago State, Michigan State, Northwestern and Indiana interspersed throughout the spring.

Notre Dame has long held an in-state rivalry with Indiana. This year that rivalry will continue at Victory Field in Indianapolis, home of the Indianapolis Indians, although the Irish didn’t face off against the Hoosiers at all in 2019. Notre Dame leads the series all time, with a record of 68-34-1, but the Hoosiers are coming off a fantastic season, one in which they managed to make the NCAA tournament.

Tags: ,