-

-

Real life pitch perfect

| Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Last year, I came to Notre Dame so excited to audition for Harmonia, the only all-female a cappella group on campus. Two of my older sisters were members, and I had watched them perform for years with the dream of being able to follow in their footsteps.

I soon found out that very few people shared this excitement.

In fact, most people don’t even know of Harmonia. You see, Notre Dame has never been known for their arts programs. When you hear about this University, you usually think football or academics.

That is why I am writing this today, to shed some much-needed light on the overlooked a cappella scene on campus.

I didn’t really have any idea what to expect from Harmonia outside of the singing part. It was not long, however, before I found out Harmonia was so much more than just singing.

Weekly rehearsals involved not just practicing our songs, but also bonding with every member of the group. People would check in with each other and get life updates. Every personal milestone was celebrated. Every person felt valued. It felt like I had gained 14 big sisters, without whom my freshman year would have been very different. I had people I could go to for advice or just to chat if I needed someone.

Harmonia made my transition into college so much easier, especially considering the fact that I am now living several states away from my actual family. Now, a year later, I cannot even imagine my life without this group. Each week brings us all closer together and each newly added member is just another part of our growing family.

Another amazing and overlooked aspect of the a cappella scene is the fact that there are so many groups and every group is so different. The intermingling between groups sometimes really makes me feel like I am living in the “Pitch Perfect” universe.

I never would have thought that I would have participated in an actual riff off, but it turned out to be one of the highlights of my year. We — as in the members of these groups — all share a bond: our unashamed, even if it might be dorky, love for a cappella. Whether it means watching each other’s performances or staging joint concerts, we have created a sense of community and belonging between us all.

So next time you see a poster in O’Shag for an a cappella concert, I suggest you consider attending to see what all the fuss I have been making is about. You will not regret it.

About Kerry Schneeman

Contact Kerry