-

-

Strike with us

| Thursday, December 5, 2019

Dear fellow members of the Notre Dame, Saint Mary’s and Holy Cross community, 

Our generation knows we are facing a climate crisis. We see our air, our water and our home threatened everyday by the frightening reality that our stable climate is crumbling within our lifetimes. 

Our generation knows our leaders aren’t responding with urgency. We see our future held hostage by the greed of a handful of wealthy oil and gas executives who will stop at nothing to squeeze the last bit of money out of the earth. 

Our generation knows how to raise our voice. We see our youth not as an obstacle but as an opportunity — an opportunity to turn our fear into the political power which we must wield to fight back against this climate crisis. 

Our generation knows now is the time for action. We see there can be no delay in making our leaders hear our voices as we demand protection for the health and wellbeing of all people. 

As members of the tri-campus community, we know our faith calls us to be stewards of God’s creation. Therefore, in the footsteps of Greta Thunberg we will join members of the South Bend community and youth around the country to strike from our daily routines on this upcoming Friday, Dec. 6, and meet at Howard Park at 10 a.m. Can you join us? 

Together, we will call upon our leaders to take bold action to address the climate crisis, secure a livable future for our generation and create millions of good jobs in the process. If you plan to join us, please feel free to RSVP at bit.ly/StrikeSouthBend. If you have any questions or need a ride, please reach out to either Duncan Donahue ([email protected]) or Ian Baker ([email protected]). Our future is at stake; we hope you join us. 

Duncan Donahue 

sophomore

Ian Baker 

freshman

Greg Campion 

senior

Zoë Penko 

graduate student, class of 2024

Farah Khashman 

freshman

Adam Griffin 

freshman

Sam Bosio 

sophomore

Love Lee 

freshman

Tianle Zhang

freshman

Anna Lee 

freshman

Max O’Connor 

sophomore

Chase Cummings 

sophomore

Chaenny Sim 

senior

Patricia Alquiza 

senior

Nick Crookston 

freshman

Christian Bunker 

senior

Ian Horvath 

freshman

Dec. 2

Letters to the Editor can be submitted by all members of the Notre Dame community. To submit a letter to the Viewpoint Editor, email [email protected]