-

-

Football

Cole Kmet to enter NFL Draft

| Thursday, January 2, 2020

Junior tight end Cole Kmet has announced that he will forego his final season of eligibility with Notre Dame. Kmet, a two-sport athlete on the baseball diamond and the gridiron, announced in a tweet Thursday afternoon that he is electing to enter his name into the 2020 NFL Draft.

Kmet, a native of Lake Barrington, Illinois, was the No. 3-ranked tight end prospect in the 2017 recruiting class, per Rivals.com. Kmet joined fellow Notre Dame commit and No. 1-ranked tight end Brock Wright in that recruiting class.

After backing up tight ends Durham Smythe, Nic Weishar and Alizé Mack in his first two season, Kmet burst onto the scene this year. Despite suffering a broken collarbone in fall camp that caused him to miss the first two games of the season, he featured prominently during Notre Dame’s 23-17 loss to Georgia in Athens. Kmet recorded career-highs of nine receptions for 109 yards and reeled in the opening touchdown, the first of his career, to put Notre Dame up 7-0.

Ann Curtis | The Observer

Irish junior tight end Cole Kmet rises over his defender during Notre Dame’s 17-38 home win over Stanford on Sept. 29, 2018.

He would go on to blow his sophomore and freshman numbers out of the water. In 11 games this season, he recorded 43 receptions for 515 yards and six receiving scores on the season, placing second to senior receiver Chase Claypool on the team in all three categories.

On the baseball diamond, Kmet served as a left-handed pitcher, mainly in relief. He saw action in 30 games as a freshman, leading the team with eight saves. His sophomore campaign was cut short after eight appearances due to an elbow injury, but he finished with a 2.89 ERA, striking out 27 and only walking three over 18.2 innings pitched. His younger brother Casey is a freshman catcher/infielder on the baseball team.

Kmet began accruing praise from NFL scouts after his strong start to the season. Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller had him rated as the No. 2 tight end prospect and No. 1 blocking tight end in November, while ESPN’s Mel Kiper has him rated as the sixth-best available tight end prospect.

Tags: , , , , , , ,