-

-

Sports

Notre Dame hockey records a tie, loss on the road against Ohio State

| Monday, January 20, 2020

The Notre Dame hockey squad recorded a tie and a loss on the road this weekend to conference rival Ohio State.

The Irish (10-10-4, 5-6-3 B1G) were not able to record a big win on the road officially as their overtime shootout tie with the Buckeyes (15-6-3, 8-4-2 B1G) in the first game only counted for a Big Ten point.

This all comes after taking two back-to-back losses last weekend at home against another conference rival, Michigan. 

Allison Thornton | The Observer

Irish freshman forward Solag Bakich (left) and sophomore defenseman Nate Clurman (right) corral a puck during Notre Dame’s 3-2 overtime victory over Ohio State.

Sophomore forward Alex Steeves kept the Irish treading above water in the first game of the series, scoring two goals on four shots.

Senior goaltender Cale Morris recorded 27 saves in net, compared to Ohio State’s 14. Junior forward Colin Theisen and sophomore forward Graham Slaggert also contributed a goal a piece.

Although Ohio State’s freshman goalie had recorded only 14 goals at the end of regulation, the Buckeyes were still sticking around as the score was knotted at 4-4.

At the end of two overtime periods the game was still not yet decided. The game headed into a sudden death shootout to determine the winner of the conference point.

Slaggert beat the Buckeyes freshman goalie Ryan Snowden in the sixth round of the shootout to secure Notre Dame’s second Big Ten point this season — but the game was recorded officially as a 4-4 tie. 

After a glimmer of hope in the thrilling sudden death shootout, the Buckeyes played with a chip on their shoulder in the second game of the series and were able to get the best of the Irish, coming away with a victory by a final score of 2-1.

The Irish were able to keep the contest close in the first stanza as the horn sounded with the score tied at 1-1. But the Buckeyes found the back of the net on a power play in the next period and it would prove to be good enough to earn them the win.

Despite the loss, there were some positive takeaways as the Irish were able to hold the Buckeyes to just 11 shots on goal when at even strength. The Buckeyes win also pushed them into the lead in their all-time series with the Irish. The all-time record stands at 38-37-11 in favor of the Buckeyes. 

The Irish return home next weekend to play host to Wisconsin at Compton Family Ice Arena.