-

-

Loyal daughters of Notre Dame

| Friday, January 24, 2020

The Notre Dame fight song is quintessential Notre Dame. Every kid knows it. You probably knew it long before you even thought of coming to Notre Dame. Now it is time to bring the other half of the student body, namely its women, into that tradition. I imagine it must give Muffet McGraw pause to sing about loyal sons marching to victory without a word of her loyal daughters. And while she doesn’t lose any sleep over this, wouldn’t it be nice to have her women included so every kid could sing of their victories too?

I have a simple solution. Where now we sing “while her loyal sons are marching onward to victory,” we sing “while her loyal sons and daughters march on to victory.” It scans the same, the beat is the same, the melody is unchanged and, yet, everything changes. One other change: at the intro, we sing, “Rally sons of Notre Dame.” I propose we instead sing, “Rally round old Notre Dame.”

Fr. Ted Hesburgh fought long and hard to bring women to Notre Dame. I think he would approve of this change. And all of you can make this happen by simply starting to sing the fight song with these changes: at every pep rally, every game, every convocation. It’s up to you, the sons and daughters, to make this happen.

Go Irish,

William Dell

class of 1969

Jan. 23

Letters to the Editor can be submitted by all members of the Notre Dame community. To submit a letter to the Viewpoint Editor, email [email protected]