New Cushwa-Leighton Library 24-hour study space completed, Le Mans tunnel expected to re-open

The new 24-hour study space in the lower level of Cushwa-Leighton Library will officially open Friday, library director Joe Thomas announced in a campus-wide email Wednesday. The space was completed over winter break, Thomas said in the email.

“This space was designed with current students’ needs in mind and is aimed to promote collaborative work, whiteboarding, and the use of technology — both shared and personal devices,” he said. “Outlets and charging stations abound.”

Other improvements made to the library over winter break include two new hydration stations, a new free coffee machine on the main floor and Keurig vending options provided on the lower level. Additionally, classroom furniture samples are available for student testing, “specifically intended as replacements to older tablet desks found in classrooms across campus.”

Later this semester, the ResNet and IT Helpdesk will relocate to the lower level of the library, near the 24-hour study space, Thomas said, in an attempt to make their services more accessible to students.

Additionally, plans are in place to re-open the tunnels linking Le Mans Hall and the library, Thomas said.

“Work has begun to make the Le Mans-Library tunnel accessible, including the installation of a lift and a ramp,” he said. “While it won’t be in time to spare [students] from this year’s snow, the work will be complete within the next three months. As soon as it’s signed off for use, we will open it for you all.”

In the same email, Thomas announced that munch money may now be used to make purchases from all campus vending machines.

“We hope that this improves your experience on campus,” Thomas said.