-

-

ND Women’s Tennis

Notre Dame to take on Akron, Kentucky, Butler at home after road trip

| Wednesday, January 29, 2020

After a tough road trip, during which the Irish took on Furman and No. 3 Georgia, the Notre Dame women’s tennis team will take on three opponents, the Akron Zips, the Kentucky Wildcats and the Butler Bulldogs, this weekend at home.

Irish (3-1) head coach Alison Silverio said she was happy with the team’s performances in singles last weekend. The Irish fell behind in doubles early on in the match against Furman, but the squad fought back to take the match thanks to some fantastic performances in singles play. And even though the Irish came away with a loss against an impressive Georgia (2-0) squad, Silverio lauded her team’s ability to hang in there with a top 10 team, especially in singles play. She commented specifically on sophomore Zoe Taylor, who took on the tall task of playing in the one spot, a challenging spot for any competitor but especially for one in a conference as filled with talent as the ACC.

Observer File Photo

Irish junior Ally Bojczuk swings through a volley against Bowling Green in a match Notre Dame won 7-0 at home on Jan. 23, 2019.

Nevertheless, the same positivity could not be held towards the squad’s doubles play, which was a point of specific concern, according to Silverio. But she said that, with a week of practice ahead, doubles play will be a point of primary concern. She remains confident that the team will continue to move in the right direction after making those crucial adjustments.

“[Doubles] is definitely going to be one of our biggest, as I mentioned earlier, our biggest focus for the week, is making those adjustments for doubles and going after it,” Silverio said. “Our first opportunity to perform in that will be against Akron on Friday, and then we’ll obviously have another opportunity on Sunday against Kentucky and Butler. But that will certainly be our area of focus this week as we head into the weekend, getting to play at home again. We’re certainly excited about that, and it’s an opportunity for us to get better, so we’ll utilize the few practice days that we have before Friday and work through some of these adjustments that we want to make in the doubles. And, we’ll continue to move in the right direction.”

The Irish did not face the Zips, the Wildcats or the Bulldogs in a team match last year, and the squad will look to get things back on track after its first loss of the season. Notre Dame will take on Akron on Friday, have Saturday off and then take on Kentucky and Butler on Sunday at the Eck Tennis Center.

About Connor Mulvena

Contact Connor