Jurkovec transfers to Boston College

This report was updated Jan. 11 at 5:28 p.m.

Notre Dame sophomore quarterback Phil Jurkovec transferred Saturday to Boston College, in news that comes just three days after his decision to transfer was made public.

Jurkovec served as Irish senior quarterback Ian Book’s backup during the 2019 season, completing 12 of 16 passes for 222 yards and two touchdowns in his six appearances.

1578493127-ff018fd9c2b1b79-700x600
Observer File Photo
Irish sophomore quarterback Phil Jurkovec prepares to pass from the pocket during Notre Dame’s 56-27 road win over Wake Forest on Sept. 22, 2018.

At 6-foot-6 and 202 pounds, Jurkovec was a highly touted prospect out of high school, ranked the No. 9 pocket passer and No. 126 overall player by ESPN in the 2018 recruiting class. He was also rated a four-star recruit by 247Sports and the No. 12 quarterback in the 2018 class, a class which included now Ohio State quarterback Justin Fields and Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence.

The news of Jurkovec’s intentions to transfer comes after Book announced that he will return for the 2020 season. The Irish will also welcome quarterback Drew Pyne to campus this spring as a true freshman. The class of 2020 four-star quarterback is ranked No. 12 in the nation by 247Sports. Notre Dame has also received a commitment from Tyler Buchner in the class of 2021, a pro style quarterback currently ranked No. 7 in his class by 247Sports.

It was announced Friday that Jurkovec would be visiting Boston College. The next day, A.J. Black of Sports Illustrated made it known that Jurkovec would be joining the Eagles. In his post, Black described Jurkovec as “much sought after” and a “huge splash get” for new Eagles coach Jeff Hafley, who served as co-defensive coordinator for Ohio State in 2019. Hafley, in reference to acquiring Jurkovec, tweeted out a GIF of an Eagle snatching a fish out of a body of water with the caption “#GETIN//#WeAreBC.”

Eagles redshirt junior quarterback Anthony Brown has announced he will enter the transfer portal, leaving the starting spot vacant for Boston College. Jurkovec may have to sit out a year due to transfer rules, but the possibility remains that he could be granted immediate eligibility with a waiver from the NCAA.

Per Notre Dame's deal with the Atlantic Coast Conference, the Irish are next scheduled to play Boston College in 2022 when Jurkovec would be in his fifth year of eligibility.