Shaun Crawford to return for sixth season

Notre Dame graduate student cornerback Shaun Crawford will be returning for a sixth year with the Irish, he announced in a tweet Friday evening.

Crawford is eligible to return via a medical redshirt from the NCAA, as he has missed two full seasons due to injury.

1473722323-fe4c8b875594353-700x590
Observer File Photo
Irish cornerback Shaun Crawford carries the ball during Notre Dame's 50-47 loss to Texas on Sept. 4, 2016.

A native of Lakewood, Ohio, Crawford came in with the class of 2015 as a highly regarded prospect — he was ranked the sixth best cornerback and 63rd best player in the nation by Rivals. However, he suffered a torn ACL in August that precluded his freshman season.

Crawford would play again his sophomore season, returning a blocked PAT for a two-point conversion to send the game to overtime in Notre Dame’s eventual loss to Texas in the season opener. However, he saw his season come to a premature end as he tore his achilles tendon against Nevada in the following game. He finished the year with six tackles, five of them solo, and one interception.

Crawford made a comeback the following year, appearing in 12 of Notre Dame’s 13 contests in 2017 and starting one game against Navy. He recorded 20 solo tackles and 32 total, 1.5 tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks, a forced fumble, two fumbles recovered and two interceptions.

As the Irish approached what looked to be a promising senior year for Crawford given his junior year production, Crawford suffered another torn ACL before the start of the season.

Crawford returned for a fifth year in 2019, recording 28 tackles in nine games as well as an interception in the home-opener against New Mexico.

With Crawford’s return, the cornerback depth chart retains a key piece with the departure of seniors Donte Vaughn and Troy Pride Jr. from this season’s team.