-

-

Students, demand divestment from fossil fuels

| Friday, January 17, 2020

Here at the University of Vermont, students again are calling on the Board of Trustees to divest from fossil fuels. It will not be the first time, but it will be the first time since the earth had warmed more than two degrees Fahrenheit. There is hope that the board’s eyes are now open.

Notre Dame is on a similar cycle of considering divestment. In addition to the two-degree warming, the rising of seas, the fires, the extreme weather and the food insecurity that accompanies these changes, Notre Dame’s mission means it must also consider the outsized impact of climate change on the world’s poor and the call of Pope Francis to address climate change. Divestment will hasten climate action.

Because fossil fuel stocks are losing relative value, there is little financial risk. Although, some risk undeniably still exists. Is Notre Dame willing to take a very small financial hit to take the correct moral action? Is Notre Dame willing to be an ethical leader on the right side of history?

It is not some alumna’s Letter to the Editor or call to the board or to anyone else that will lead to action. It is the strategic, concerted effort of students whose demands will be heard. Act fast, students, and peace be with you.

Julianna White
class of 1991
Dec. 11

Letters to the Editor can be submitted by all members of the Notre Dame community. To submit a letter to the Viewpoint Editor, email [email protected]