Friday, Sept. 6, 2024

The Observer elects Editor-in-Chief for 2020-2021 term

The Observer General Board elected Assistant Managing Editor Maria Leontaras as Editor-in-Chief for the 2020-2021 term Tuesday.

“Maria is one of the most committed and reliable reporters at The Observer,” current Editor-in-Chief Kelli Smith said. “She proves herself invaluable as a leader of this paper time and time again. There is no doubt in my mind she will only continue to lead this organization to new heights for the entire tri-campus community.”

1580248392-b26d065849d8c23-700x394
The Observer General Board elected Maria Leontaras to be the Editor-in-Chief for the 2020-2021 term.

A junior at Saint Mary’s, Leontaras resides in Le Mans Hall and is pursuing a student-designed major in Interactive Journalism with minors in mathematics and Journalism, Ethics and Democracy.

“I couldn’t be more excited to have this opportunity to lead The Observer,” Leontaras said. “I’ve made so many great friends and memories throughout my time at the paper, and I can’t wait to help facilitate the same kind of experiences for staffers next year.

“I will always be so thankful for the editors and staffers who came before me and set a great example for me and others to follow. I look forward to continuing the work the outgoing Editorial Board started and producing content that is representative of the tri-campus community.”

A Northwest Indiana native, Leontaras began working in the Saint Mary’s News department in 2017 and rose to Assistant Managing Editor in spring of 2019.

Leontaras will begin her term as Editor-in-Chief on March 1.