Choma scores six goals as Irish rout Buckeyes

The second-ranked unbeaten women’s lacrosse team continued their stellar start to the season this past Sunday with a resounding victory against the Ohio State Buckeyes by a score of 18-7. The Irish are now 4-0 on the year with three double-digit victories and a two-point victory over No. 6 ranked Northwestern. 

On Sunday, the Irish started off a bit sluggish and allowed the Buckeyes to stay in the game initially. 

1582497389-3d82d9f43dd19e9-700x503
Irish sophomore attack Mollie Carr makes a pass during Notre Dame's 16-4 victory over Louisville on March 2 at Loftus Sports Center.
Irish sophomore attack Mollie Carr makes a pass during Notre Dame's 16-4 victory over Louisville on March 2 at Loftus Sports Center. Carr scored 2 goals in the contest and was also able to secure one ground ball.

The Buckeyes scored first in the game, but freshman midfielder Kasey Choma responded with a pair of goals to give the Irish the lead just over six minutes into the game. 

The Buckeyes responded to Choma’s goals with two goals of their own to restore a one goal lead. The Irish would respond quickly again, however, to take a 4-3 lead behind goals from graduate student attack Samantha Lynch and junior midfielder Andie Aldave.

After some back and forth play, the game was once again tied at a score of 5 as the end of the first half approached. It appeared that the Irish might be in for a tight game against the Buckeyes, but the Irish offense had different plans.

Before the first half buzzer sounded, the Irish netted two quick goals from Choma and Aldave to take a 7-5 lead into the half. That was only the beginning of a 7-0 run for the Irish that extended into the second half and gave the Irish a 12-5 advantage and control of the game with just over twenty minutes to play. Choma scored twice and Aldave and senior classmates midfielder Erin McBride and attack Jessi Masinko scored as well. 

The Buckeyes responded with one goal to bring themselves within six of the Irish, but the Irish responded with a 4-0 run to take a 16-6 lead and secure the victory. Lynch scored two during that stretch and Masinko and Aldave each had one. When all was said and done, the Irish had secured another comfortable double-digit victory by a score of 18-7.

In the victory for the Irish, Choma scored a career-high six goals. Choma was widely considered to be the top recruit coming out of high school class, and she has proven herself so far this season.

Choma attributed her success to her teammates.

“Our leaders, like Andie [Aldave] and Samantha [Lynch], really helped us keep our poise and set the tone,” Choma said. “Working the ball around as a team and everyone getting a touch is what made us successful. As a team, we moved the ball really well.”

Aldave had four goals on the day, Lynch had three and Masinko, McBride, and freshman attack Madison Ahern each had two goals in Sunday’s game.

Ahern, who, like Choma, is considered one of the top recruits in the country, has had a multi-point outing in each of her first four collegiate games.

Junior goaltender Bridget Deehan, who was ACC Defensive player of the week last week, continued her strong start to the season as well by recording nine saves. Deehan now owns a .534 save percentage through the first four games of the season.

The rest of the Irish defense played well too by forcing 15 Buckeye turnovers. Choma and junior midfielder Diana Kelly each forced a game-high three turnovers for the Irish in Sunday’s win.

The Irish also had a 16-10 advantage in draw controls, an 18-15 advantage in ground balls and finished Sunday’s game 21-of-22 in clears. 

After a successful non-conference start, the Irish will begin conference play on Sunday, March 1 against Duke. The contest is scheduled to be played at Loftus Sports Center and begin at 1 p.m.