College students to participate in St. Margaret’s House Winter Walk

Saint Mary’s is facilitating an opportunity to get involved with community service at the College through the St. Margaret’s House Winter Walk. Saint Mary’s was recognized as St. Margaret House’s Community Partner of the Year in 2019; therefore the College will have the honor of leading the walk this year.

Rebekah Go, the director of the Office for Civic and Social Engagement, said St. Margaret’s House — a day center for women and children — was inspired by a biblical message.

“[St. Margaret’s House is] inspired by the Gospel message [Matthew 25: 35-36], ‘For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me drink. I was a stranger, and you welcomed me. I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me,’” Go said in an email.

The Saint Mary’s community has been actively working at the House for a number of years.

“Students serve as volunteers and as student interns,” Go said. “[They also] go weekly for their nursing clinical rotations. We are fortunate to have a multi-faceted relationship with an organization doing so much good particularly with women in our community.”

The Winter Walk is a particularly important event for St. Margaret’s House, as it offers the organization an opportunity to raise money.

“The Winter Walk is St. Margaret’s House’s annual fundraiser wherein community members raise money to participate in the walk and support the mission of Saint Margaret’s House,” she said.

The one-mile walk occurs rain or shine and represents the distance those who use the House may travel to get there.

“The one-mile walk symbolizes the distance that many of St. Margaret’s House clients trek each day to participate in the life of the St. Margaret’s House community,” Go said.

In this way, the event hopes to build solidarity, particularly during the colder months, Go explained.

“Walking side-by-side with clients and community advocates is a wonderful way to be in solidarity with the women and children of our community who may live on the margins,” she said. “Participants should dress appropriately to be outside for the walk and the after party.”

Once the walk ends, all participants are invited to stick around for an after-party hosted by St. Margaret’s House.

“Expect hot cocoa and cookies at the end — and [participants] can receive a tour of Saint Margaret’s House if they wish,” Go said.

Students who attend will be able to join the hundreds of others that participate in this large community event while working to gain a new perspective on others’ lives and situations that may be different from our own.

“I love the energy that surrounds the walk and the amazing group of people that it brings together,” Go said.

The Saint Mary’s contingent this year could be the biggest ever.

“It typically attracts over 600 people from the community,” Go said. “We may have the largest group from the College attending — ever. So that’s super exciting.”