Irish begin conference play this weekend

This Friday, Notre Dame will kick off ACC conference play when they take on Louisville (7-3) at home Friday. The Irish (5-5) will be looking for a bounce-back performance against the Cardinals, after suffering a close defeat against the Wolverines (11-3). Notre Dame will be heading into the contest with confidence after several members of the team were able to defeat ranked opponents in their match against Michigan.

The Irish will need a good start in doubles once again and put on a very solid performance against the Wolverines, which should bode well for them. However, they will be facing off against a Louisville team that has secured the doubles point in the last three matches they have played. The number-one doubles team for the Irish consisting of 29th-ranked junior Tristan McCormick and sophomore Axel Nefve as well as the number-two doubles team of junior Richard Ciamarra and senior Matt Gamble have been consistent performers for Notre Dame and will need to put on another solid one to help power their squad.

1582762706-6971781b666d4cf-700x479
Notre Dame senior Matt Gamble makes a forehand return in a match against Boston College on February 8, 2019, at Eck Tennis Pavilion

In singles, 10th-ranked Ciamarra will be looking to build off of his massive win last weekend after downing 17th-ranked sophomore Andrew Fenty of Michigan, which helped him secure ACC co-player of the week. He will most likely face off against Louisvilleā€™s 66th-ranked junior Tin Chen this week. Noth will also be looking for a solid performance out of 98th-ranked Tristan McCormick, who is coming off of a big victory against 112th-ranked junior Mattias Siimar of Michigan.

The final home match until March 20 is set for 3:30 p.m. Friday at the Eck Tennis Pavilion with doubles play. Singles play will directly follow.