Irish fall to Hoosiers in close match

The Notre Dame men’s tennis team traveled to Bloomington on Saturday to take on Indiana University. Despite a tightly contested match, the Irish (2-3) would ultimately fall to the Hoosiers (3-2) by a score of 4-3.

The Irish continued their stretch of dominance in doubles, taking the doubles point and the early 1-0 lead in the match. With the doubles point victory, the Irish have won eight of their last 10 doubles matches played. The number one and two doubles teams of Notre Dame sealed the point for their squad with the pair of sophomore Axel Nefve and junior Tristan McCormick defeating senior Bennet Crane and senior Zac Brodney 6-3 and the pair of senior Matt Gamble and junior Richard Ciamarra defeating senior William Piekarsky and sophomore Carson Haskins 6-4.

1580773259-d32ea6c66d9fab6-700x629
Former Irish senior Grayson Broadus prepares to serve the ball during Notre Dame's victory over Boston College on February 8th.

In singles, the Irish and the Hoosiers would trade matches up and down the lineup, forcing a three-set clinching match for the win. The ranked singles players for the Irish would be the only members of the team to collect wins in singles with Irish No. 5, junior Richard Ciamarra beating Hoosier senior Bennet Crane by the score of 6-2, 7-6 (7-2) and Irish No. 102, sophomore Axel Nefve winning 2-6, 6-1, 6-0 over Hoosier senior Zac Brodney. The match would ultimately be decided on the number three singles court with a tight match involving Irish junior Tristan McCormick and Hoosier sophomore Carson Haskins. McCormick jumped out to an early one set to love lead, winning the first set 6-4. Haskins would recover and take the second set 6-3 to force a deciding third set. Both players continued to hold serve until Haskins was able to find the match winning break, winning the final set 6-4, and earning the 4-3 victory for Indiana.

The Irish will return back to action Friday when they travel to Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts, to square off against rival Boston College. Doubles play is set to begin at 11 a.m.