-

-

ND Women’s Golf

Irish finish 10th out of 16 teams at Westbrook Invitational

| Wednesday, February 26, 2020

The Notre Dame women’s golf squad tied for 10th place out of a field of 16 teams in their first match of the spring season last weekend at the Westbrook Invitational at Westbrook Village Golf Club in Peoria, Arizona.

Last year Notre Dame shot under par as a team at the Westbrook Invitational last year (288-286-286=860) at 4 under, but just fell shy of the mark this year carding an even par in the clubhouse (295-283-286=864), tying Missouri for 10th place.

The best performance for the Irish on the weekend came from Lauren Beaudreau, the freshman from Lemont, Illinois, who has proven to be a worthwhile addition to the Irish roster. She finished the tournament sitting at 10 under par with 206, which was good enough for a fifth place individual finish. The 206 was the best 54-hole score both in stroke total and relation to par in program history, beating junior Abby Heck’s 207 and -9 at the Moon Golf Invitational last season, cementing another spot in the record books for Beaudreau. Her last best 54-hole score to beat was 217.

Beaudreau has had a strong start to her career at Notre Dame, even though she has just competed in five tournaments to date. She is currently tied with Heck and five others for the second-lowest stroke round in program history at 66. Her performance at Westbrook saw her come one stroke shy of tying that record with her final round of 67 (-5), which rocketed her up three positions throughout the day into fifth place (68-71-67 — 206). She is already among the top 10 in career stroke averages, setting high expectations for the rest of her young career.

While the rest of the Irish squad lagged behind Beaudreau, they did not play terribly. Sophomore Claire Albrecht finished in 50th at three over par (76-71-72 — 219). Freshman Madelyn Jones followed just behind in 53rd place with four over par (75-68-77 — 220), with that 68 in the second round marking Jones’ career-best round. Heck tagged along at five over (76-73-72 — 221), good for 56th place.

Freshman Jessica Meyers also showed improvement in each successive round, coming in seven spots down, although she was just one stroke down at six over (79-72-71 — 222). Senior Mia Ayer rounded out the field for the Irish in 76th with her score of 11 over par (79-73-75 — 227).

Beaudreau was the clear leader throughout the tournament. She recorded 14 birdies throughout the three rounds and conceded just four bogeys while also adding an eagle in the fifth hole of the opening round for good measure.

The Irish will return to competition in two weeks when they compete in the Clover Cup at the Longbow Golf Club in Mesa, Arizona, on March 13-15.

Tags: , , , , , ,