-

-

ND Women’s Lacrosse

Irish look to continue strong start against Ohio State

| Friday, February 21, 2020

Second-ranked Notre Dame will look to continue their strong start to their season this weekend against the Ohio State. The Irish proved they are contenders on the national level last week with a 17-15 road victory against the formerly third-ranked Wildcats. They are 3-0 on the season with blowout victories against Marquette and Central Michigan, as well. 

Ohio State owns a 4-1 record on the year, with their only blemish being a 20-7 loss on the road to fifth-ranked Stony Brook. In their most recent contest this past Wednesday, the Ohio State topped Cincinnati by a score of 15-10.

The last game for Notre Dame came against Central Michigan last Sunday. The extra rest figures to be an advantage for the heavily favored Irish come Sunday.

Hannah Huelskamp | The Observer

Notre Dame senior midfielder Savannah Buchanan sprints past a Marquette defender in a game at Loftus Sports Center on February 9

The Irish will also have the advantage of having one of the best goaltenders in the nation in junior Bridget Deehan protecting the net. Earlier this week, Deehan was named the ACC Defensive Player of the Week. Deehan had a career high 12 saves and four ground balls in last Friday’s win over Northwestern. Through the first three games of 2020, Deehan has 22 saves with a .523 save percentage and a 7.23 goals-against average. For a team like Ohio State who could only muster up seven goals against Stony Brook, having Deehan in goal should make matters even harder for the Buckeyes.

So far this season, the Irish have been very good at controlling the draw, which has allowed them to dominate possession. Additionally, they have taken advantage of their opportunities to score, as they have been very efficient with their goal-to-shots-on-goal ratio.

Looking ahead, the Irish will face plenty of top competition, as they face five opponents who are currently ranked. One game that already stands out is the contest against current top-ranked team North Carolina, which is slated for March 15 in Chapel Hill.

Sunday’s game will take place 4 pm in the Loftus Sports Center. The game can be streamed live on ACC Network Extra.

Tags: ,