-

-

Men’s Lacrosse

Men’s lacrosse to face first major test of season against Richmond

| Thursday, February 20, 2020

The No. 6-ranked Irish will face their first major test of the season this Sunday against the No. 17-ranked Richmond Spiders. The Irish are coming off their opening game against Cleveland State this past weekend where they won a comfortable 17-7 game. 

Head coach Kevin Corrigan said that his team has used the full week off to prepare for Richmond and work on some things from last weekend’s win against Cleveland State.

“We took a couple of days on Monday and Tuesday and really just learned about ourselves and tried to take some lessons from last week’s game and look forward to this week’s game and recognize some of the things that are really important for us to do well,” Corrigan said.

One of things that Corrigan has had his team work on is riding and clearing.

“We did really well in the first half but not well in the second half,” Corrigan said. “We need to make sure that we are doing that as well as we will need to down the road.”

Emma Farnan | The Observer

Firmer Irish midfielder Drew Schantz runs with the ball during Notre Dame’s 12-10 win over North Carolina on April 20, 2019.

Corrigan also hopes that his team can replicate the offensive efficiency from the Cleveland State game against Richmond.

“We were really good with our offensive possessions in terms of not wasting any. We are just trying to stay on track with things,” Corrigan said.

Corrigan said that his team took Wednesday off from practice, and he expects his team to be in a good spot come Sunday.

“We have a long week with not playing till Sunday, and then we will have a chance to get back at it,” Corrigan said. “I think we are in a pretty good spot by having a good, long week to prepare after that first game because it is always nice to have that extra time.”

Corrigan acknowledged that the Spiders are a very solid team.

“They’re a very smart, very well coached, fundamentally sound team that really plays good, sound lacrosse and has a good sense of themselves and who they are,” Corrigan said. “With a team like that, they are not going to beat themselves, and that’s something that we have always prided ourselves on … I think it’s going to be a matter of going out and making plays. That may sound simplistic, but that is not always the case in a game as I think it will be in this one.”

The Irish lost to Richmond by one goal last year in sloppy conditions, but Corrigan said his team is not concerned about that result ahead of Sunday’s game.

“We didn’t play particularly well. It was a miserable, rainy day,” Corrigan explained. “And I think if anything else, we didn’t handle that well. That’s one of the things you can’t control, and you can’t let it affect you. I think we did that day.”

Richmond is the first of many top-20 teams that the Irish will play this season.

“Every game we play from now to the end of the season is a top-20 team,” Corrigan said. “This is what our schedule is. This is who we play. Early or late, in between, it doesn’t matter.”

With a schedule as tough as Notre Dame’s going forward, preparation is vital on a weekly basis.

“We know that we have to prepare ourselves as well as we can every week and then we still have to go out there and perform on game day,” Corrigan said. “We play too many good teams, and you are going to have to play well to beat them.”

Sunday’s game against Richmond will take place at Loftus Sports Center and will start at noon. The game will be aired on ACC Network Extra.

Tags: ,

About Nate Moller

Contact Nate