-

-

Men’s Tennis

Notre Dame secures victory on the road over rival Boston College

| Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Last Friday, the Notre Dame men’s tennis team traveled to Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts to take on rival Boston College. The Irish (3-3, 1-0 ACC) were able to secure the victory over the Eagles (1-4, 0-3 ACC) by the score of 5-0, improving their season record to 3-3 and picking up their 5th sweep over Boston College.

In doubles, the beat kept on for Notre Dame with the No. 1 duo of sophomore Axel Nefve and junior Tristan McCormick finishing first, defeating senior Derek Austin and senior Javi Amantegui by a score of 6-3. The No. 3 doubles team of the Irish would seal the doubles point away with freshman Matthew Che and junior Paul Gota winning 6-2 over freshman Mason Fung and senior Sean Mullins. 

The Irish continued their roll up one heading into singles with each match finishing up in straight sets. Tristan McCormick was the first off the court, winning 6-2, 6-2 at the three spot in singles over freshman Max Motlagh. The top singles players for the Irish were not far behind with Axel Nefve on court two winning 6-0, 6-3 over Javi Amantegui. The No. 5 ranked ITA singles player junior Richard Ciamarra took care of his business over Derek Austin, taking his match by the score of 6-3, 6-4. Matthew Che would seal the sweep victory for Notre Dame, winning easily over senior Alexander Chieffalo 6-1, 6-1.

The Irish will hit the road again to play their fifth match away from the Eck Tennis Pavillion since Jan. 19 as they travel to Champaign, Illinois to take on the Fighting Illini. Notre Dame will look to secure another road victory before returning home to face off against the No. 6 team in the country in undefeated Ohio State. Doubles play is set for 7 p.m. at the Atkins Tennis Center.