-

-

Saint Mary’s dining services rolls out sushi bar, new pop-up events

| Thursday, February 6, 2020

The dining services team hosted a pop-up sushi bar at lunch Jan. 30 as part of an ongoing effort to roll out alternative meal options at the Noble Family Dining Hall.

As defined by General Manager Jim Risacher, mystery pop-ups are surprise events that are included in meal plans. Anyone who wants to participate is welcome to join.

Courtesy of Megan Briegel

Pop-up food events have begun appearing in dining facilities at Saint Mary’s. One such event was a sushi bar that occurred at lunch in the Noble Family Dining Hall on Jan. 30.

A warning is posted on Instagram 24 hours before the event to allow students to put the mystery occasion on their radars and draw them into the dining hall. The actual events are revealed on Instagram and Facebook on the day of the occasion to create suspense and build anticipation.

The sushi bar was preceded by a smoothie pop-up which took place during breakfast on Jan. 23.

“It was probably the most popular [event] we’ve done to date,” executive chef Jason Mullet said. “I would say it is the event that we’ve got the best turnout and feedback on.”

Mullet explained these events are meant to “shake up” the monotony of dining hall options.

“We aren’t taking away anything with these pop-up events,” Mullet said. “Students will still see all the same formats out there but with the addition of something at no extra charge.”

These events are meant to be something nicer than what is typically available for students both at home and on campus, Risacher said.

“It’s important to host these kinds of events because in all colleges or any kind of restaurant where you’re feeding the same lot of people … it gets monotonous,” he said. “I mean, I can’t change the scenery. [The dining hall] has the same walls, the same lighting, the station’s set the same that can make it look a little bit different. Even the most luxurious place in the world, you get tired eventually. So you have to create some excitement in your dining facility to get the ladies to come down and see what’s new today.”

These occasions will not be limited to just the dining hall; there will be pop-up events in 1944 Grill and Murphy’s Cafe as well.

The dining team plans to continue using social media to promote pop-up events at these and other campus dining options. Students are encouraged to follow dining services on Instagram to stay in the loop on all things dining and be the first to learn about new events.

“This is to make the ladies kind of follow us on social media and look at what’s going to pop up,” Risacher said. “These are the things where they can get things at discounted prices, request some excitement, things of that nature.”

Another pop-up event, a hard scoop ice cream bar, will occur during dinner on Thursday evening in the Noble Family Dining Hall.

About Mia Marroquin

Mia Marroquin is a rising senior Communication Studies major at Saint Mary’s. Currently serving as Saint Mary’s News Editor, she hails from Holland, Michigan and is an 80’s movie fanatic. Follow Mia on Twitter @_miamarroquin

Contact Mia