-

-

Eulogy for senior year

| Wednesday, March 18, 2020

As students are ushered home from abroad and campus alike and a global pandemic as declared by the World Health Organization increases its grasp on society, a specific subset of the college population is mourning in a different way. College seniors across the nation have seen their academic careers come to an unexpected halt with just a couple months left until graduation.

Currently, we are all just trying to process it. Where are we going? Where will our friends be? What does this mean for our short remaining time as students? The experience is not unique to our University, but rather universally shared by our peers everywhere.

While we absolutely recognize the importance of public health, it is impossible to not reflect on what has been lost. The last semester of senior year is marked by a plethora of events and occasions to celebrate, but we are facing a final half-semester without them. We will not get to go to Dome Dance, run the last Holy Half, celebrate our only St. Patrick’s day on campus. Although the final fate of our semester hangs in the air, we are concerned about senior week and commencement as well, not to mention the fact that we are about to enter the workforce in a tumultuous economic climate.

However, what we really mourn is the loss of the little moments. The last Southwest Salad on a Thursday afternoon. The last after-class Salsa’s or Livery marg. The last late-night drive home from the library. The last Monday night “Bachelor” watch with your roommates. The last Grotto candle light. The last dorm Mass. The last sporting event attended. The last 4 a.m. pot of mac and cheese shared over silly conversations. The last alma mater sang as a student.

Of course, these things were inevitably going to come to an end, but they were taken from us too soon without warning. Until April 3, we will desperately cling to the hope that we will be able to come together for at least one more month and share our home under the Dome together one last time, even if just for a moment. Until then, here’s a toast to senior year and the class of 2020. Raise your glasses a safe 6 feet from everyone in your hometown and know that even if not physically together, we are in this shared experience together. Love thee always.

Erin Whitney

senior

Mar. 12

Letters to the Editor can be submitted by all members of the Notre Dame community. To submit a letter to the Viewpoint Editor, email [email protected]