-

The Observer is a student-run, daily print & online newspaper serving Notre Dame, Saint Mary's & Holy Cross. Learn about us.

-

news

Health officials declare first case of coronavirus in Indiana, University updates community via email

| Friday, March 6, 2020

After the first identified case of coronavirus in Indiana, Governor Eric Holcomb declared a public health emergency to receive federal funding for response, FOX 59 reported Friday.

The patient, a resident of Marion County, traveled to Boston, coming into contact with people infected with coronavirus. After arriving back in Indiana on Wednesday, the article said he reached out to Community Health Network on Thursday because he was concerned he may have COVID-19.

Taken into isolation, the patient was placed in a room with negative air flow to be tested and then was transported back to the self quarantine, Ram Yeleti, chief physician executive of Community Health Network said in the article.

The patient is currently in self isolation and listed in stable condition. State health officials said the patient had a minor case and the hospital did everything they could to limit risk of exposure.

Currently, the article said the Marion County Public Health Department is investigating the case to determine the patient’s whereabouts following infection to determine who he could have been in contact with.

Indiana began testing COVID-19 on Saturday, with 12 people having been tested so far with 35 quarantined. The article said none of the patients are experiencing symptoms.

While the Marion County Public Health Department and the Indiana State Department of Health said they have been preparing for the potential spread of the coronavirus, Kristina Box, the Indiana State Health Commissioner, said in the article that they are not expecting to see other cases.

“I encourage Hoosiers to continue to educate themselves about COVID-19 and take steps to protect themselves from this and other respiratory illnesses — by covering their coughs, washing their hands thoroughly, Box said.

This report followed a Friday email regarding Notre Dames response to and updates on coronavirus, including the schools website on the virus, from Paul Browne, the Universitys vice president of public affairs and communications. Notre Dame sent students home who were studying in countries with a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Level 3 travel advisory. Students who are studying in Japan this semester are also returning to the United States, the email said, due to Nanzan University in Nagoya requiring international students to return home even though the country is at Level 2.

The site features information and updates regarding the virus and Notre Dames response to it. The University encourages students who are traveling for spring break to visit the site and follow the travel and health tips listed on the site, the email said.

Furthermore, the email states all those who are on University-sponsored travel are required to register their foreign and domestic itineraries here so the University can assist in any way possible if necessary.

Tags: , , , ,

About Observer Staff Report

Contact Observer Staff Report