-

-

Sports

Irish fall to Cavaliers on the road in conference matchup

| Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Last Sunday, the Notre Dame men’s tennis team took on Virginia on the road in its second ACC conference match of the season. Despite a hard-fought effort, the Irish ultimately fell to the Cavaliers (8-4, 3-1 ACC) by the score of 3-4. 

Notre Dame (6-6, 2-1 ACC) continued its string of dominant doubles as it secured the opening point to start off the match. The team of junior Tristan McCormick and sophomore Axel Nefve earned the first doubles match for the Irish, beating junior Matthew Lord and senior Carl Soderlund by the score of 6-2. On court two, the team of junior Richard Ciamarra and senior Matt Gamble helped to seal the doubles point in a thrilling match, beating freshman RJ Fresen and sophomore William Woodall in a tiebreak, 7-6 (7-5). 

Singles were a back and forth affair as both squads traded matches, with the edge ultimately going to Virginia. The Cavaliers drew even with the Irish quickly as Carl Soderlund dispatched Richard Ciamarra 6-1, 6-0. Notre Dame responded right back, rattling off two wins on court three and court six as Axel Nefve beat Matthew Lord 6-2, 6-2, and freshman Connor Fu defeated RJ Fresen 6-2, 6-1 to put the Irish up 3-1.

Despite the strong showing for the Irish, the Cavaliers strung together the final three singles victories. Junior William Howells lost to William Woodall 6-3, 6-1 to make the score 2-3. Sophomore Ryan Goetz defeated Tristan McCormick by the score of 6-4, 7-6 (7-3) to even the score up at three all. It all came down to a third set match between Irish senior Guillermo Cabrera and junior Gianni Ross, with Ross taking the match in a third set, 6-1, 4-6, 6-4 to seal things for Virginia.

The Irish will travel to Evanston, Illinois on Sunday to take on Northwestern University on the road in an ACC/BIG 10 matchup. Doubles play is set for noon at the Combe Tennis Center.